Upgraded to Ryzen 5 3600, System No Longer Stable

Go to solution Solved by Dayglorange,

Finally, my replacement RAM and CPU have arrived. I have my system all back together and it seems to be working now, I booted into Windows with no issues and have been hopping around on the internet for a bit just fine. Played a video, had no problems with that. I'm guessing it had to have been the CPU, or something. Now that it seems to be stable on default settings, I can start working out my fine-tuning with that Ryzen DRAM calculator and then maybe I'll try firing up a game and see what happens with that. Here's hoping my problems have finally resolved, though if not I'll be back....

So, sort of a long story here, the tldr; is I upgraded from an A8 7600 to a Ryzen 5 (total platform change, so the mobo, CPU and RAM are all new) and everything is completely unstable, on both a brand new install of Windows on a new Samsung 970evo m.2 and my old install on my PNY SSD. Lots of BSODs. Tested the RAM for a day and it checks out, SSD checks out according to Samsung Magician. I'm very confused.

Long story: Originally I pulled my old system and swapped the parts last week, and verified the new parts would POST before I did the swap. Seemed fine outside the case so in the case it went. Once I got it up and running again, before I installed Windows 10 Pro on my new m.2 I ran off my old SSD for a while just to test things a bit. It was pretty unstable, BSODs and crashes randomly, but I figured this could be down to wrong drivers and such since the SSD came from my old system. I pulled all my drives, including my storage drives, and went to install Windows on the new m.2. Problem: it blue screened during install. Restarted it. Managed to get through the install this time. More BSODs. I tried reinstalling again. Same thing. I think I'm now sitting on the 5th reinstall on the new drive. Its marginally more stable now, but the moment I try to do anything I get a random BSOD. Sometimes I see what the error is, sometimes it flashes so fast I only see blue and then its already rebooting. Right now, I'm letting it download Windows updates before I try to do anything else. I installed my wifi drivers, my graphics drivers, m.2 drivers, and Samsung magician to check the m.2. I've swapped the m.2 from the top mobo slot to the bottom one, but still have had some BSODs since doing that. I've run memtest and my RAM checks out,  I opened up my GPU and cleaned and repasted it today just in case. I've been sitting on my laptop Googling every different BSOD as they come up. So far, I've had at least one if not more of each of these:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION

I've tried using WhoCrashed to see what drivers are failing, and it always shows fltmgr.sys and ntoskrnl.exe are the culprits. I've tried running Windows built-in driver verifier but it doesn't seem to show the crashing drivers when I run it, and its a pain to turn off. Basically, I'm at my wits end. I bought a new case to put everything in but currently the system is just sitting on my desk using the mobo box as a test bench because I'm afraid I may have to send something back. Problem is, I just can't figure out what's faulty, if anything, or if I got a corrupted install of Windows, or what. Pls halp.

System specs:

ASRock X570 Steel Legend Wifi ax

Ryzen 5 3600 / stock cooler

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (4x8) DDR4 3000

Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro

Corsair CX750M

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe m.2

Windows 10 Pro, 1903

EDIT: I can grab dmp files and anything else if needed, right now I don't dare touch it in case it crashes before Windows updates can finish.

Hi there:

would try the following:

a) Remove RAM sticks and only leaving 1. Can consult the user manual for which one to leave in.

b) Update BIOS to the latest version.

c) Try to boot to Win in safe mode

d) If you have a spare GPU, i would try that out as well

Hope you solve it...

I got the BIOS updated. Still having crashes. It seems to be stable at idle, I just left the house and left it on the desktop and its still fine. I have a spare GPU somewhere, I'd have to dig it out. I'm probably going to replace the RAM, I have an RMA through Newegg, and see if that solves it. I just don't wanna go any longer not being able to use my computer to game and stuff :( I guess I'll update once I get the new RAM and stuff.

I got ahold of some new RAM today (Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR2400 16 2x8GB kit) and swapped it out. Already have had 2 crashes, both black screen restarts. I'm starting to suspect it could be my GPU, but boy do I really hope it isn't. I have a few things I have yet to try. I gotta nail this problem down before my return/exchange window is up cause then I'm really screwed ?

@Dayglorange with overclocking memory on ryzen systems I have found that plain old memtest doesn't really catch memory errors at all. The one from hci generally catches them and also prime95 can be pick them up quickly sometimes. I'd try the one from hci first, https://hcidesign.com/memtest/. Personally I haven't had the best luck with hynix memory on ryzen in general. Guessing that is what your kit is. That was with the 2000 series though, I haven't had the opportunity to play with it on 3000 series yet.

Also I have had a ryzen 3600 die on me too. Different problems though probably. Was about after a week the chip would no longer get beyond the initial os boot. Before it had that issue I'd have random resets. I got a full refund though.

Just my opinion, but find a samsung b-die kit and buy that. It just works well, and that is worth the extra cost. You could try relaxing the timings on your current kit and increasing the voltage some if your are comfortable enough to "oc" it.

@AustinJ I'm fairly certain the Dominator kit I have is Samsung B-die, as well as the Vengeance LPX I just picked up.

I'm starting to suspect it may not have been the RAM, but I have more tests to run today. So far, what I've done today is pull my GPU and repaste it again (I got some new thermal pads for the VRMs because that was what it had before but when I initially cleaned it, I didn't have them. Thank you Amazon Prime) and before I popped it back in I also pulled the m.2 and instead plugged in a empty sata SSD. Went to install a fresh copy of Windows on that and so far only one small problem as of yet, that being the install itself went fine the first time...but during account setup, it completely flashed back to the beginning of the setup right as I was about to finish. Like, no BSOD, no restart, just instant one moment I was on selecting the tracking options and the next I was back at country selection. Went through again, it wouldn't let me use the same account name (as if it already existed, except I never completed setup technically) so I just went back and re-installed Windows again.

This time it worked. I'm now sitting on the desktop and seem to be fine so far. Gonna start throwing tests at it again soon as I get them all loaded from my laptop onto my USB. I basically went out and found every test I could find to stress each part of my PC to try and narrow this down. I'll have updates later probably if I turn up anything.

Alright, I've gotten to the point where it can literally only be the CPU or the mobo, so I'm going to return the CPU, and the RAM just in case it might have gotten screwed up, and see if that fixes my problems. This is such a pain. I just hope replacing the parts works, and if its still not working I'll have to replace the mobo too. At that point if it doesn't work I would willingly just go back to my old system and get my money back :(

I wonder if the mobo is just setting some really bad timings. Have a look at ryzen dram calc and set all your timings to a safe present. Not a huge fan of asrock myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, my replacement RAM and CPU have arrived. I have my system all back together and it seems to be working now, I booted into Windows with no issues and have been hopping around on the internet for a bit just fine. Played a video, had no problems with that. I'm guessing it had to have been the CPU, or something. Now that it seems to be stable on default settings, I can start working out my fine-tuning with that Ryzen DRAM calculator and then maybe I'll try firing up a game and see what happens with that. Here's hoping my problems have finally resolved, though if not I'll be back....

• 2 years later...

The solution for this is a simple BIOS upgrade/downgrade depending on the version you are running. Try this version 7B86vH1 **2019-07-22**. 

Not a single crash after I downgraded the BIOS to this version. 

Try this before you upgrade CPU and RAM

Hope this helps