AMD or INTEL

Hi 

I game a fair bit and am looking to get a new pc but i only have sometrouble deciding what CPU i want the 9900K or the 3900X.

I have 2x 1440p 144hz monitors.

Mostly it will be used for gaming and ofcourse i would like the best performance. I have the habit of leaving games open in the taskbar if i know i will be playing that game later the same day or the next day. I also watch movies twitch or YouTube on my second screen. And i Always have an mmo (BDO) running in tray if i am not playing to get recources afk. I sometimes also have periods where i like to stream or record my gameplay just for fun (nothing serious or professional).

The priority is that i want to play on 1440p on the highest settings with as much FPS as possible on one game while leaving some other games open or in tray.

Wich CPU would be best for me?

EDIT: I also would like to play vr on a 2080

3900x !

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

8 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'd get the 3900X.

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

3900x !

Thanks for the response but could you maybe also provide a reason for thatt particular choice?

Just now, arnekick said:

Thanks for the response but could you maybe also provide a reason for thatt particular choice?

There are many reasons.

• The 9900K's temperatures make it a fire hazard
  • The 3900X has better single core performance, so it'll perform as good if not better than the 9900K in games
  • The 3900X has _significantly_ better multi core performance, which is absolutely crucial if you want to do several intensive things at once (which you want to do)
  • Consumes less power than the 9900K
  • Intel isn't releasing 10nm/10th gen any time soon for desktops assuming it'll even be good
  • Costs about the same
  • PCIe 4.0

Warning though, for Ryzen 3rd generation processors (Zen2) you'll need an updated BIOS or an X570 board. If you want to take advantage of the PCIe 4.0, you'll need an X570 board. You'll need an X570 board with good VRMs too. I recommend any of these (just find the cheapest that's the best for you): 

image.png.86f92646db882246dafc75e371d3d277.png

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

3900x

You have 12 cores, which is better for multitasking, more stuff running at same time.

You have socket AM4 platform, which still has some life to it, there's gonna be at least another ryzen series of cpus on am4, so you'll be able to upgrade later. x570 boards are (large majority of them) made so well they'll handle any cpu you'll throw on them until AMD stops making cpus for that socket.

there's not much to upgrade to with intel, you're gonna need another motherboard, most likely, if you're gonna want to upgrade.

12 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Warning though, for Ryzen 3rd generation processors (Zen2) you'll need an updated BIOS or an X570 board. If you want to take advantage of the PCIe 4.0, you'll need an X570 board. You'll need an X570 board with good VRMs too. I recommend any of these (just find the cheapest that's the best for you): 

I was going to get the asus crosshair VIII hero i just want to know if i should go for intel or amd i have the components for both systems mostly figured out

24 minutes ago, arnekick said:

I was going to get the asus crosshair VIII hero i just want to know if i should go for intel or amd i have the components for both systems mostly figured out

what the fuck why a super expensive mobo lol did you get a huge discount?

I'd go for AMD

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

what the fuck why a super expensive mobo lol did you get a huge discount?

I'd go for AMD

I am able to order my components through the company i work for wich gets me 20% off everything pretty much

56 minutes ago, arnekick said:

Hi 

I game a fair bit and am looking to get a new pc but i only have sometrouble deciding what CPU i want the 9900K or the 3900X.

I have 2x 1440p 144hz monitors.

Mostly it will be used for gaming and ofcourse i would like the best performance. I have the habit of leaving games open in the taskbar if i know i will be playing that game later the same day or the next day. I also watch movies twitch or YouTube on my second screen. And i Always have an mmo (BDO) running in tray if i am not playing to get recources afk. I sometimes also have periods where i like to stream or record my gameplay just for fun (nothing serious or professional).

The priority is that i want to play on 1440p on the highest settings with as much FPS as possible on one game while leaving some other games open or in tray.

Wich CPU would be best for me?

amd 3900x with no doubt 

It's a catch 20/20 at the moment
Despite the wild claims, the 9900k still performs better for gaming only for a few reasons. but i would still go 3900x for your build.
Intel Pro:
Higher clock speeds, a good 9900k chip can stably reach 5ghz on decent cooling, AMD can't make this claim (YET)
More support for Intel, Intel have dominated the market for years and have such still have much better support in games than AMD chips, this will likely change as AMD is taking dominance in the consumer market.
AMD Pro:
More Cores, you like leaving games open so this will be usefull
7nm process (bundling in all those things like lower temps, lower power draw)
UPGRADE ABILITY, though not entirely confirmed yet, its likely intels 10nm CPUs (when we eventually get them) will be on a new socket (again) but AMD have already confirmed there sticking with AM4 for quite some time, this is a big pro for AMD
Storage, alongside x570 boards now having PCI-e gen4 which have the best read/write speeds you could ask for a personal build, there is also Store MI included with most Ryzen chips, if you don't know what AMD Store MI is, its a tiered storage system (usually only seen in servers) have a look into it as it might be of interest. 
And lastly, AMD's favourite topic to bring up, Cost. Outright in every way the 3900x is just so much better value for money than the 9900k, that difference in cost even covers the increase in price on X570 boards.

22 minutes ago, A. Cole said:

It's a catch 20/20 at the moment
Despite the wild claims, the 9900k still performs better for gaming only for a few reasons. but i would still go 3900x for your build.
Intel Pro:
Higher clock speeds, a good 9900k chip can stably reach 5ghz on decent cooling, AMD can't make this claim (YET)
More support for Intel, Intel have dominated the market for years and have such still have much better support in games than AMD chips, this will likely change as AMD is taking dominance in the consumer market.
AMD Pro:
More Cores, you like leaving games open so this will be usefull
7nm process (bundling in all those things like lower temps, lower power draw)
UPGRADE ABILITY, though not entirely confirmed yet, its likely intels 10nm CPUs (when we eventually get them) will be on a new socket (again) but AMD have already confirmed there sticking with AM4 for quite some time, this is a big pro for AMD
Storage, alongside x570 boards now having PCI-e gen4 which have the best read/write speeds you could ask for a personal build, there is also Store MI included with most Ryzen chips, if you don't know what AMD Store MI is, its a tiered storage system (usually only seen in servers) have a look into it as it might be of interest. 
And lastly, AMD's favourite topic to bring up, Cost. Outright in every way the 3900x is just so much better value for money than the 9900k, that difference in cost even covers the increase in price on X570 boards.

Thats what i was unsure about the i9 delivers more FPS in gaming but all the other things are better with amd. but i am planning to go play 1440p and the difference in fps is not that huge compared to 1080p am i right?

I am currently leaning towards amd

I also want to play vr on my 2080 i forgot to add that

5 minutes ago, arnekick said:

Thats what i was unsure about the i9 delivers more FPS in gaming but all the other things are better with amd. but i am planning to go play 1440p and the difference in fps is not that huge compared to 1080p am i right?

I am currently leaning towards amd

The difference between AMD and Intel in FPS is largely irrelevant, a couple of frames you probably won't notice and most (not all) of the performance is dependant on the GPU anyway. you'll normally always get better frames at lower resolution (I say normally because Radeon VIII was weird in that 4k gaming would often perform better)
There's plenty of videos and benchmarks on this topic if you want to see the difference in FPS, but mostly its 10-20 max difference