School labtop help!

Hey Linus Tech Tips Forums.

Im soon (in about 6 months) going to go to Gymnasium (Thats school for 16-19 year olds here in Denmark, its not a place where you do sports). Im going to be needing labtop for taking notes in class and studying its going to be needed for Standard text editing software some math software and misc. net surfing and maby some indie gaming, basicly very light tasks.

Requirements.

• IPS panel, i dont want some shitty TN bullshit
  • 128gb ssd atleast
  • 8 hour battery life
  • Decent CPU, ivy bridge is fine but hasswell would be even better :D

My budget is around 1500 USD but please take in mind that labtop prices in Europe sometimes are allmost 1,5X the price in the US. Ive been looking at the Macbook air since it fits my requirements and my budget. The only problem is that im afraid that OS X is going to suck and im going to have to hand in my PC master race card. The Mac Book air just seems to be alot cheaper than the Windows Ultrabook competitors.

Im also planing on having the laptop backup to my main rig so that i wont need a huge amount of storage on the labtop itself, im just not sure if this is duable with a mac when doing it with windows.

Ok so what do you guys reccomend :D and also is there any good stuff on the horison that will change anything :D

Thanks for the help :D and sorry that my Gramma is a bit shabby but english is not my first Language :D

Your suggestion of a Macbook is very good because I cannot see what you're asking for happening with a windows laptop.

You're asking for too much for too little, I'm afraid. Bring down your specifications or increase your budget.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Check out the Dell Latitude 14 5000 series, might not be as thin as an Macbook Air, but feels so much better.

Hmm sony Vaio pro 13 comes to mind, or if you're willing to upgrade you can get the asus ux302LA and put an SSD in it yourself (it's cheaper and better than buying the version that already has an SSD), or if you're willing to pay more there is the ux301LA. And the samsung ATIV book series also matches your specs (I haven't looked much into these though), and ofcourse there is the acer aspire S7. Last but not least, the Lenovo Yoga 2 is a laptop you should definitely consider :)

Quick system specs: MotherboardAsus P5Q-PRO CPUIntel Q9550 @ 3.7 ghz GPUEVGA Geforce GTX 570 HD superclocked RAM6 gigs of ddr2-800 (ouch) DrivesSeagate 320 GB drive for windows and some apps, Seagate 1000 GB drive for games and documents OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit If you think its bad... it runs crysis 3 (almost) maxed out: youtu.be/dL3PNorbub8

Project [bBB]: This is a clickable link

Sony Vaio pro 13

Asus ux301

Interested in Business and Technology

I think that MacBook Air 13 inch fits your needs perfectly. The transition won't be as horrendous as everyone makes it out to be and the 12 hour+ battery life will be very useful.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Hey guys thanks for the help.

I think im going with the Mac since the Vaio is more expensive here and i cannot buy it outside my own country since it wont have a scandinavian layout for the leyboard, wich would suck when taking notes.

I hate computers that the school gives you unless it is a MacBook Pro or air. If you are buying one yourself then get a MacBook Pro or air. I don't have one but I love Macs.

apple.com

Hey guys thanks for the help.

I think im going with the Mac since the Vaio is more expensive here and i cannot buy it outside my own country since it wont have a scandinavian layout for the leyboard, wich would suck when taking notes.

As mentioned above, the macbook air has that shitty TN panel bullshit, so washed out colours and shitty viewing angles galore. Take a look at this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2333663

I don't know if you read my post, but there is more than the sony vaio pro. The vaio pro might be lightweight but it comes at a cost... it throttles because it has some heating issues. I think you are making a big mistake going for the mac, if you really care that much about the display quality (oh and the macs display isn't even 1920 by 1080...)

Good luck :)

Quick system specs: MotherboardAsus P5Q-PRO CPUIntel Q9550 @ 3.7 ghz GPUEVGA Geforce GTX 570 HD superclocked RAM6 gigs of ddr2-800 (ouch) DrivesSeagate 320 GB drive for windows and some apps, Seagate 1000 GB drive for games and documents OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit If you think its bad... it runs crysis 3 (almost) maxed out: youtu.be/dL3PNorbub8

As mentioned above, the macbook air has that shitty TN panel bullshit, so washed out colours and shitty viewing angles galore. Take a look at this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2333663

I don't know if you read my post, but there is more than the sony vaio pro. The vaio pro might be lightweight but it comes at a cost... it throttles because it has some heating issues. I think you are making a big mistake going for the mac, if you really care that much about the display quality (oh and the macs display isn't even 1920 by 1080...)

Good luck :)

Hey

I think your right im sorry i dident read the entirety of your post. I really like the Mac Air but if it has a shitty TN panel i wont be able to take it. TN panels are not acceptable when you pay 1500 dollars for a laptop. Ive now been looking at the Vaio pro but also one of lenovo´s dual tablet and ultra book thingy. The tablet part will really help considering that alot of the Danish schools have digitised all of the books.

Thanks for the help :D

• Surface Pro 2? - Is that in budget?
  • Sony Vaio Fit MultiFlip 14"
  • MacBook Air 13
  • Dell XPS 15z
  • Sony Vaio Pro 13
  • Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
  • Sony Vaio Tap 11

And by the way, OSX doesn't suck that badly, it's a learning curve.

Compatible with Windows 95

Hey

I think your right im sorry i dident read the entirety of your post. I really like the Mac Air but if it has a shitty TN panel i wont be able to take it. TN panels are not acceptable when you pay 1500 dollars for a laptop. Ive now been looking at the Vaio pro but also one of lenovo´s dual tablet and ultra book thingy. The tablet part will really help considering that alot of the Danish schools have digitised all of the books.

Thanks for the help :D

Glad to help, the lenovo yoga 2 is really a great laptop if you don't need any graphics power. I think it's one of the best laptops out there because of its flexibility :)