Access 100% Denied- FingerPrint Reader Edition

Asad Javeed

Hiya people...

So, I am planning my first PC build, including a setup for the entire PC and peripherals etc.

I am planning on making a custom compact desk as well, which will double as both PC and Study setups.

On that note, I recently was observing the finger print reader in my college for the staff attendance and it got me thinking....

Could you hook your PC to one such reader so that it could only power on once a proper fingerprint was used?

How would you do it?

What would you use?

Why is this a very bad idea (it's my brain...so I know it turns out a lot of crap for those occasional gold mine moments)?

On 8/24/2019 at 11:40 AM, Asad Javeed said:

Hiya people...

So, I am planning my first PC build, including a setup for the entire PC and peripherals etc.

I am planning on making a custom compact desk as well, which will double as both PC and Study setups.

On that note, I recently was observing the finger print reader in my college for the staff attendance and it got me thinking....

Could you hook your PC to one such reader so that it could only power on once a proper fingerprint was used?

How would you do it?

What would you use?

Why is this a very bad idea (it's my brain...so I know it turns out a lot of crap for those occasional gold mine moments)?

You can do so by configuring it directly in Windows hello and a compatible fingerprint reader. It would be very no different than just having a laptop with a fingerprint reader built in. As for other programs they would have to allow for this option to be built in to be able to use a fingerprint instead of a password. 

4 hours ago, W-L said:

You can do so by configuring it directly in Windows hello and a compatible fingerprint reader. It would be very no different than just having a laptop with a fingerprint reader built in. As for other programs they would have to allow for this option to be built in to be able to use a fingerprint instead of a password. 

But, that would be using this reader as a password input. 

I mean, the PC doesn't even power on.... 

4 hours ago, Asad Javeed said:

But, that would be using this reader as a password input. 

I mean, the PC doesn't even power on.... 

Oh missed that part, to actually power it that would be an interesting concept but probably not impossible. If you can get a fingerprint/capactive touch module that is essentially ubiquitous on phones and have that configured on a separate module like an ardunio mini it could register the fingerprint and then send a trigger signal to the PC to turn on. 

Here's an example of a sensor long as it's compatible with the control module. 

https://www.adafruit.com/product/751

On 8/26/2019 at 7:02 AM, W-L said:

Oh missed that part, to actually power it that would be an interesting concept but probably not impossible. If you can get a fingerprint/capactive touch module that is essentially ubiquitous on phones and have that configured on a separate module like an ardunio mini it could register the fingerprint and then send a trigger signal to the PC to turn on. 

Here's an example of a sensor long as it's compatible with the control module. 

https://www.adafruit.com/product/751

hmmm......

this sounds like its worth it....

4 hours ago, Asad Javeed said:

hmmm......

this sounds like its worth it....

Would be neat concept, but if it is for security reasons you will want to secure the case and make sure someone can’t just open it to get to the HDD or bypass the fingerprint start. 

On 8/31/2019 at 9:23 PM, W-L said:

Would be neat concept, but if it is for security reasons you will want to secure the case and make sure someone can’t just open it to get to the HDD or bypass the fingerprint start. 

It's just for personalizing and having more of that.... DIY satisfaction really.... 

One issue I've had with this sort of enhanced power switch is how to power the power switch. I agree you'd probably want to use an arduino or similar, which needs to be powered on to read a signal from the fingerprint scanner. Some motherboards can keep supplying power through USB ports even when the rest of the PC is off. 

If you power the arduino externally, then the voltages of that and the motherboard might not "match," and I've found that optocouplers/optoisolators are the best solution.