Dropping Frames

IrishLuck
Go to solution Solved by IrishLuck,
On 8/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, BrinkGG said:

Surge Protector has nothing to do with frames. If you had bad power the system would turn off because of a low power warning from the PSU. 

Just to make sure, check that you have your display cable plugged into the GPU and not your motherboard's video outputs. 

Also, make sure your GPU drivers are up to date. (Check nvidia's website) 

Temps around that should be fine, and you're saying that it's using 30-40% on max settings. Is that CPU only? What does GPU usage look like? 

Disk drive won't effect framerate unless it's a loading screen. So that's out.

Undervolting wouldn't effect the actual speed of the chip unless you lowered the Frequency as well. Either way, you can download the Ryzen master tool and look at Core speed, voltages, etc. 

loooong time ago but it was a drive issue. Wasn’t able to keep up the games reasources. Swapping for a higher end SSD resolved it

I am looking for some help in figuring out why my game is dropping so many frames.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core Processor clocking at 3.94 GHz

16 GB Ram clocked at 2666 MHz

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 TB (Dedicated to games there is a separate drive for the OS)

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 GB

Task manager shows that it is all using about 30-40% on maximum settings and the temperature is sitting at about 50 degrees celcius unless I have been playing for a few hours. (My room is usually fairly cool which helps with this)

In game my frames in a non intense graphical scene are usually sitting at about 101-144 which is awesome. When the particles on screen start to go crazy though the frames drop to around 45 which GSync handles and prevents tears but it is visibly noticeable.

Despite this task manger still shows that the system resource are not capping. I assume this is a clocking issue on either the part of the ram or maybe even the Drive but I don't know. (It may be undervolting aswell but I do not know how to check that..?)

Help

Taking a look at my surge protector it seems to be at a maximum of 120v which i think this machine is eating through. I am going to try plugging it directly into the wall.

try to update the drivers

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

2 minutes ago, IrishLuck said:

Taking a look at my surge protector it seems to be at a maximum of 120v which i think this machine is eating through. I am going to try plugging it directly into the wall.

Surge Protector has nothing to do with frames. If you had bad power the system would turn off because of a low power warning from the PSU. 

8 minutes ago, IrishLuck said:

I am looking for some help in figuring out why my game is dropping so many frames.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core Processor clocking at 3.94 GHz

16 GB Ram clocked at 2666 MHz

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 TB (Dedicated to games there is a separate drive for the OS)

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 GB

Task manager shows that it is all using about 30-40% on maximum settings and the temperature is sitting at about 50 degrees celcius unless I have been playing for a few hours. (My room is usually fairly cool which helps with this)

In game my frames in a non intense graphical scene are usually sitting at about 101-144 which is awesome. When the particles on screen start to go crazy though the frames drop to around 45 which GSync handles and prevents tears but it is visibly noticeable.

Despite this task manger still shows that the system resource are not capping. I assume this is a clocking issue on either the part of the ram or maybe even the Drive but I don't know. (It may be undervolting aswell but I do not know how to check that..?)

Help

Just to make sure, check that you have your display cable plugged into the GPU and not your motherboard's video outputs. 

Temps around that should be fine, and you're saying that it's using 30-40% on max settings. Is that CPU only? What does GPU usage look like? 

Undervolting wouldn't effect the actual speed of the chip unless you lowered the Frequency as well. Either way, you can download the Ryzen master tool and look at Core speed, voltages, etc. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

• 3 years later...
On 8/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, BrinkGG said:

loooong time ago but it was a drive issue. Wasn’t able to keep up the games reasources. Swapping for a higher end SSD resolved it