Need help planning my upgrades

_CrisisRogue

So Right now I am using a Ryzen 5 2600 and a GTX 660 (placeholder for an upgrade, had it lying around) with 16gb of ram and a 500GB NVME SSD, I want to game at 1440p 144Hz, but I don't really know what GPU I need for that, a 1080 Ti would only give me about 110fps in destiny 2 and will get worse framerates in future games, So I want basically an overkill/futureproof GPU upgrade so I don't have to upgrade my CPU right now, I will upgrade to zen 3 (with the new socket and all). I thought I could save up to a 2080 Ti, but I don't know if I will bottleneck it to death or just a bit. I'm willing to OC the CPU too (if I need to). Thank you for the help!

I should say I want RTX for minecraft and maybe the next destiny game in 2020-21?

6 minutes ago, _CrisisRogue said:

So I want basically an overkill/futureproof GPU

The 2080 ti is as future proof as every GPU that came before it, that is to say, it's not at all. Since you can't see the future, don't worry too much about not getting performance you will want, aim for the performance you do want. Also if you have the money for a 2080 ti lying around, $200 for a 3600 won't hurt if you're concerned about a bottleneck

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

What could u buy right now?

is a 2080 super enough for your overkill needs? yes the ti variant has more power but 2080 super wouldnt lag far from it. @1440p

also i am concerned of that GTX 660 you wont play much lol (tho still not bad experience).

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The 2080 ti is as future proof as every GPU that came before it, that is to say, it's not at all. Since you can't see the future, don't worry too much about not getting performance you will want, aim for the performance you do want. Also if you have the money for a 2080 ti lying around, $200 for a 3600 won't hurt if you're concerned about a bottleneck

I dont have it around, but I will if I need to, that's why im asking if it's worth it

3 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

What could u buy right now?

is a 2080 super enough for your overkill needs? yes the ti variant has more power but 2080 super wouldnt lag far from it. @1440p

also i am concerned of that GTX 660 you wont play much lol (tho still not bad experience).

I know I'm buying a better gpu (RX 480) at the end of this week, a used one, for like 100 bucks, just to wait for the big upgrade in about two to three months

And a 2080 Super is practically a 1080 Ti, which isnt enough. Maybe a used titan Xp ?

2 minutes ago, _CrisisRogue said:

I dont have it around, but I will if I need to, that's why im asking if it's worth it

I can hardly say the 2080 ti is worth it, plus you don't have to play at max settings

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2070 super is near same performance of 2080 with some overclocking you can reach 2080 performance at a cheaper price

also a 2080(non super) is already a 1080ti with less ram

Just now, fasauceome said:

I can hardly say the 2080 ti is worth it, plus you don't have to play at max settings

I saw that video a while back, and I get it, but in 2 years I'd have to go to High instead of ultra and in five years medium and then low, instead  of like 2 years later for the Ti

1 minute ago, _CrisisRogue said:

I know I'm buying a better gpu (RX 480) at the end of this week, a used one, for like 100 bucks, just to wait for the big upgrade in about two to three months

And a 2080 Super is practically a 1080 Ti, which isnt enough. Maybe a used titan Xp ?

ok good to know a RX 480 will come ?

lol NVidia just made basically 3 similar performing cards in history

Titan Xp (Pascal Titan X)

2080 super

1080 ti

mhm titan Xp is by little better or similar to a 1080ti

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, _CrisisRogue said:

I saw that video a while back, and I get it, but in 2 years I'd have to go to High instead of ultra and in five years medium and then low, instead  of like 2 years later for the Ti

Again, you can't see the future so you don't actually know that

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, SpiralTTGL said:

2070 super is near same performance of 2080 with some overclocking you can reach 2080 performance at a cheaper price

also a 2080(non super) is already a 1080ti with less ram

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

ok good to know a RX 480 will come ?

lol NVidia just made basically 3 similar performing cards in history

Titan Xp (Pascal Titan X)

2080 super

1080 ti

mhm titan Xp is by little better or similar to a 1080ti

And there's a titan X pascal and an Xp, I was talking about the latter lol, a bit confusing

Just now, fasauceome said:

Again, you can't see the future so you don't actually know that

True, but that's my estimate

Just now, _CrisisRogue said:

True, but that's my estimate

Trust me if you're always targeting the future you'll always be spending more money and not actually getting what you want

Primary PC:

Just now, _CrisisRogue said:

And there's a titan X pascal and an Xp, I was talking about the latter lol, a bit confusing

this ^^^^

if i remember Xp which came out later than X pascal ughhh

so within that 3 months u expect the 2080 ti on ur computer while rockin' a RX 480? ok not a bad decision on my view

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

this ^^^^

so within that 3 months u expect the 2080 ti on ur computer while rockin' a RX 480? ok not a bad decision on my view

ye

4 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

this ^^^^

Nvm a used Xp is the price of a 2080 Ti soooo that's what I'll do (get the 2080 Ti)