Ebay Usb Wifi Adapter

L0m
Go to solution Solved by TheSLSAMG,

It's based on the Realtek RTL8188, so the big thing to consider is the fact that the listing's title is a lie. It is not USB 3.0, it does not support 802.11ac and it is not dual band.

Hey everyone, I have my eye on this wifi adapter and am considering picking it up, I thought before I do I should check in here first. So here I am, is there anything I should be weary about/should know?

Thanks all

I'm a python programmer and I play trombone

It's based on the Realtek RTL8188, so the big thing to consider is the fact that the listing's title is a lie. It is not USB 3.0, it does not support 802.11ac and it is not dual band.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

2 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

It's based of the Realtek RTL8188, so the big thing to consider is the fact that the listing is a lie. It is not USB 3.0, it does not support 802.11ac and it is not dual band.

Thanks, I think I'll reconsider, although I realised it was usb 2.0 I didn't realise it was 2.4 only

it looks like one of those cheap Chinese versions of a real product. If I wanted that I'd instead go to a normal computer shop and ask if they had it. 9 times out of ten they do, and they also have warranty for it and it's branded instead of some cheap chinese version.

It is said that an Italian dies every time Spaghetti is broken.

That's why I break mine twice.

Just now, IamJavik said:

it looks like one of those cheap Chinese versions of a real product. If I wanted that I'd instead go to a normal computer shop and ask if they had it. 9 times out of ten they do, and they also have warranty for it and it's branded instead of some cheap chinese version.

Yeah, I was just looking if I could save a few bucks

The antenna probably doesn't do anything like some cheap wifi adapter, you pull the antenna and it still work. It's just for show.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I've fallen for cheap eBay WiFi adapters before, its not worth it.

I actually have two adapters, identical chipsets, one TP-Link branded, one no-name brand.

The no-name brand doesn't get close to the same performance either due to poor antennas, poor amplifiers or other implementation issues.

So, you can't even rely on the chipset to tell if an adapter is good or not.  A known-brand product will generally perform better, and if it doesn't you can return it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7