File access?

grangervoldemort

What does this guy mean when he says file access will be slow, and that it won't bog down the system?

Whatever computer you upgrade to, I'd invest in a 2TB RAID system, connect it to the highest-speed port your computer has and forget about finding a computer to match your data-hoarding habit. Sure, file access will still be slow, but it won't bog down the system while they're loading.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

#contextmatters

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

1 minute ago, Mr.Humble said:

#contextmatters

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/07/cheaper-mac-pro/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAExhmCQg6Nu_lgjqX771PNcftUMliQP2hPUw1bPPCKe5nrEgShX3XdVtwfmnd6bgboLwdNnhxC58IYQAvlC31AqdW8Enu2C7X3RnVdfKkoror0hCu71CEAajyB5pd0DPP4nIuoX8RlU0JZo4_RWqaXQHkHKRB2UV5ecPSPtdcuF1

Wouldn't have thought it matters as he is saying that NOT using RAID and having the drives in the PC would 'bog' it down. At least that's what I took from it.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

3 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Wouldn't have thought it matters as he is saying that NOT using RAID and having the drives in the PC would 'bog' it down. At least that's what I took from it.

I believe he either talks about a laptop or has absolutely no idea what the heck he's talking about.

A hard drive is slower than an SSD, quite signifficantly actually, but it's good to store large amounts of data.

But unless accessed you will never know the drive is even in the PC.

As far as RAID goes, it is not specified what kind he has in mind, and there's a lot of configurations. Some useful for faster access time, some absolutely not recommended for important data.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

But it seems that he is saying that putting large drives into a PC will 'bog it down'. Is that not what he was saying?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

4 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

But it seems that he is saying that putting large drives into a PC will 'bog it down'. Is that not what he was saying?

It won't bog it down, but a hdd is gonna be pretty slow for lots of work these days. A drive alone won't slow anything down.

Aaron Souppouris

Neither will buying a new Mac Pro. Part of the reason Apple is replacing the Mac Pro is that it's not very expandable. Upping the storage to handle all your media is going to add more than $500 to the price. It seems that your main bottleneck right now is the hard drive. The gulf between a hybrid and an SSD is pretty enormous.

While you might see its solid-state portion matching an SSD in repeated tasks like loading the OS or a frequently used app, everyday computing is more random than that. The 500GB SSD inside Apple's high-end MacBook Pro will dramatically improve your day-to-day life, from loading apps quicker to supporting the RAM with fast paging speeds.

Whatever computer you upgrade to, I'd invest in a 2TB RAID system, connect it to the highest-speed port your computer has and forget about finding a computer to match your data-hoarding habit. Sure, file access will still be slow, but it won't bog down the system while they're loading.

Bottom line is the modern components of a MacBook Pro will keep pace, or exceed, the base Mac Pro in almost every task, for less money. The main sticking point with the current crop is battery life, but if you're using it as a desktop, that point is moot.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

55 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Aaron Souppouris

Neither will buying a new Mac Pro. Part of the reason Apple is replacing the Mac Pro is that it's not very expandable. Upping the storage to handle all your media is going to add more than $500 to the price. It seems that your main bottleneck right now is the hard drive. The gulf between a hybrid and an SSD is pretty enormous.

While you might see its solid-state portion matching an SSD in repeated tasks like loading the OS or a frequently used app, everyday computing is more random than that. The 500GB SSD inside Apple's high-end MacBook Pro will dramatically improve your day-to-day life, from loading apps quicker to supporting the RAM with fast paging speeds.

Bottom line is the modern components of a MacBook Pro will keep pace, or exceed, the base Mac Pro in almost every task, for less money. The main sticking point with the current crop is battery life, but if you're using it as a desktop, that point is moot.

and your question is?

Do you have a mac pro or are looking for storage?