Flash data retention.....

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

I've heard plugging it in once in a while, maybe doing a scan for errors is enough to stave off cold-storage data loss. But it's good to do that anyway just to make sure your data is still viable.

We all know that ssd, usb flash drives, sd cards all have a finite read and write cycles and also a data retention lifetime... which greatly decreases with use and storage conditions.... 
So my question is ... If I take a brand new SD card,  flash drive or an ssd... and (apparently I have no idea what I am about to say) if I write data to it and store it... occasionally plugging it in... will it increase the lifespan of data (I know about m-disc and I have used it ...the technology is amazing and depressing at the same time anyway...)

Thanks in advance

It only degrades if you're writing to the nand cells, forcing the electrons to move to create a different electric potential. If you let the drive idle (instead of turning it off) there won't be much degradation.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Cucumber said:

We all know that ssd, usb flash drives, sd cards all have a finite read and write cycles and also a data retention lifetime... which greatly decreases with use and storage conditions.... 
So my question is ... If I take a brand new SD card,  flash drive or an ssd... and (apparently I have no idea what I am about to say) if I write data to it and store it... occasionally plugging it in... will it increase the lifespan of data (I know about m-disc and I have used it ...the technology is amazing and depressing at the same time anyway...)

Thanks in advance

As far as I'm aware, Flash storage is actually better at cold storage (sitting without power) then spinning storage. It's the price per amount that forces most high capacity storage to remain on spinning disks. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi.