Very strange Surface Laptop Fan Grind?

BiscuitMassacre

I recently got a Surface Laptop 1 i7 for school. Its a great laptop and most of the time it runs quiet and smooth. But every once in a while, (its hard to reproduce, but it is reoccurring)-- it makes a terrible grinding or whining sound that seems to come from the fan. I'll post a video if I get the chance, but I usually quickly turn off the laptop because it sounds like something is about break. It was almost constant last night, but this morning, I booted up cinabench r20, and the fan functioned flawlessly. I noticed a correlation between this and high CPU usages even when doing absolutely nothing, so I am hesitant to disregard the chance of a strange virus. Now this part is the weirdest; usually right before this grind occurs, it sounds like a laser is charging up or something. Kinda similar to Skype sound when you first boot it up, but it never "pops". It just keeps growing louder and stronger at random intervals. I have never seen anything like this before, and I want to know if anyone has ever heard of anything similar before I try to turn in for warranty. Thanks guys.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Typically the only thing that will cause a grinding noise from a fan in a laptop is something physically touching or lodged in it. Whether it's debris or a wire or something the best bet in your case is to send it in for warranty as the only way you could fix it would be taking it apart yourself and surfaces are pretty frickin difficult plus it would void the warranty. If it was just recently purchased send it in for warranty or if possible take it back to the store and exchange it for a brand new model. In my experience viruses or software issues would not cause the fan to have a grinding noise they can ramp the fan up to where it's very loud in general but that would not cause a grinding noise it would just be the noise of the fan spinning at high speeds like a whrrrrrrrrrr.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Typically the only thing that will cause a grinding noise from a fan in a laptop is something physically touching or lodged in it. Whether it's debris or a wire or something the best bet is to is to send it in for warranty as the only way you could fix it would be taking it apart yourself and surfaces are pretty frickin difficult plus it would void the warranty. If it was just recently purchased send it in for warranty or if possible take it back to the store and exchange it for a brand new model. In my experience viruses or software issues would not cause the fan to have a grinding noise they can ramp the fan up to where it's very loud in general but that would not cause a grinding noise it would just be the noise of the fan spinning at high speeds like a whrrrrrrrrrr.

I completely agree i would never bother tampering with a surface cause i’m not up for that kind of headache, but do you still think it’s something lodged even if it’s not consistently reproducible? 

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 minute ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

I completely agree i would never bother tampering with a surface cause i’m not up for that kind of headache, but do you still think it’s something lodged even if it’s not consistently reproducible? 

It's either something like a wire that can sort of move around and sometimes get into the fan area or it's the fan itself maybe a shot bearing.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

It's either something like a wire that can sort of move around and sometimes get into the fan area or it's the fan itself maybe a shot bearing.

do you think a can o air could help? also do you have any idea what the skype-ish sound could possibly be? or the correlation with random high cpu usage?

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

45 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

do you think a can o air could help? also do you have any idea what the skype-ish sound could possibly be? or the correlation with random high cpu usage?

If it's a wire or a shot bearing, or even just a defective fan then no a can of air will not help. Is it like a skype sound coming from the speakers or the fan itself?? Run task manager and see which process is causing the high CPU usage.

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

If it's a wire or a shot bearing, or even just a defective fan then no a can of air will not help. Is it like a skype sound coming from the speakers or the fan itself?? Run task manager and see which process is causing the high CPU usage.

i’d have to test it further to make sure but it does sound like it’s coming from the fan. the processes that take up so much usage vary, but it’s always system processes like, anti malware exe, or system exe. ALSO all of these occur at the same time, and never independently.

My System:

My Phone:

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation