Server case ~30bay+

Locolibery

Ive seen LTT use them a few times, and I see backblaze and Storinator offering solutions with them. Where should I be looking for a "cost effective" ~30bay HDD top load case? Just the case, I plan to migrate my current hardware.

Current setup looks something like this...
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qrt729
with a Rosewill RSV-L4412 https://www.newegg.com/black-rosewill-rsv-l4412/p/N82E16811147233

Haha, Its been a few years. Its likely due for replacement when server upgrades happen.

If you're looking to get it done cheaply look into eBay. I think what you're looking for is a Disk Shelf or a DAS. This would still allow you to use either Hardware or Software RAID but will require special AICs and external cables. Some are front load some are top load. If you bought more than one some can be connected via piggyback (controller -> DAS1 -> DAS2) and it will work like they're all directly attached or you can use a multiport controller and connect them all directly.

Depending on the speeds you're trying to get and the number of disks in use you may want a 12Gbit SAS/SATA controller but smaller units you can get away with 6Gbit.

That certainly gets me somewhere looking on ebay. 

Still, none of the disk shelf results are the top load solutions Ive been seeing. But hotswap is fine, just unnecessary.

Is there a specific reason why you're looking for a top loading chassis?

(They make horizontally mounted drive chassis that can take that many drives now without significantly increasing the height of the rack mount chassis. Some of the newer chassis install the drives both at the front and rear of the chassis whereas before, it would have been only through the front of the chassis.)

IB >>> ETH

more that I see those top loads taking consumer hardware and ATX power supplies. Server PSUs are super loud and Id like to avoid them