Is it worth getting a 2GB 260X?

91wow
Go to solution Solved by MCmcginness,

I don't tend to change resolution, I've played CS at a 4:3 since 1.5 and dayZ is at 900P/720P most of the time. Next question. Can a 260X even use a 2GB frame buffer?

Ya it would, their would not really be any point in getting the 2gb if you plan to stay at the same res and settings, but I say go for the 2gb it will have better longevity 

Topic says it all, is it worth getting a 2GB version of the card? I don't really play games at 1080P even if I could. CSGO is the main game I play and that will always be at 1280x760 4:3 and dayZ. So is it worth spending the extra money for the 2GB or get the 1GB now?

I'd say get 1GB. at that res and the low settings.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

I'd say get 1GB. at that res and the low settings.

Even at a $10 difference? I know the $10 could be used somewhere else in my up coming build, but still stick with the 1GB?

If it's only $10, you might as well go for the 2GB. It gives you room for future expansion, be it moving up in resolution, or putting it into a different PC. 

Pew Pew Helicopters

Even at a $10 difference? I know the $10 could be used somewhere else in my up coming build, but still stick with the 1GB?

ah for 10$ difference I would say 2 GB. I thought you were talking about 50$ difference.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

If it's only $10, you might as well go for the 2GB. It gives you room for future expansion, be it moving up in resolution, or putting it into a different PC. 

I don't tend to change resolution, I've played CS at a 4:3 since 1.5 and dayZ is at 900P/720P most of the time. Next question. Can a 260X even use a 2GB frame buffer?

ah for 10$ difference I would say 2 GB. I thought you were talking about 50$ difference.

it would be $30 but i'm a regular customer at frys and they give me discounts :P

Ya it would, their would not really be any point in getting the 2gb if you plan to stay at the same res and settings, but I say go for the 2gb it will have better longevity 

CPU, 8350 @ 4.3 ghz | CPU COOLER, Hyper 212 EVO | ,MOBO, Gigabyte UD3 AM3+ 990FX | RAM, 8 gb  G.Skill ripjaw 1866mhz | GPUASUS 7970 | CASE, Corsair 230T black and red STORAGE, WD caviar blue 1 TB 7200 rpm | PSU, XFX 750 watt 80+ gold | Keyboard, K70 mx blue (black/red) | Mouse Razer naga hex, | Monitors, Asus VG248QE 24in 1080p, Dell 24in monitor 1080p |

Yes it does i have an Asus 260x DCUII 2GB and it runs most of my games Med/High settings 45-60FPS (cant stand any lower than 45) 1080p using about 1100MB of VRAM. only thing i dont like about the 260x is (and mine does this too) but there ar a lot of problems with freezing and Artifacts with current drivers.

Yes it does i have an Asus 260x DCUII 2GB and it runs most of my games Med/High settings 45-60FPS (cant stand any lower than 45) 1080p using about 1100MB of VRAM. only thing i dont like about the 260x is (and mine does this too) but there ar a lot of problems with freezing and Artifacts with current drivers.

Well as I said, i'm not going to really be gaming at 1080P as I don't have a 1080P monitor and my next monitor upgrade will be next year along side a newer GPU. It'll either be 4K if the price is Ok and it's at 60Hz or 1440P at 120Hz. I'm sticking with my 100Hz 900P monitor till then. 

Well as I said, i'm not going to really be gaming at 1080P as I don't have a 1080P monitor and my next monitor upgrade will be next year along side a newer GPU. It'll either be 4K if the price is Ok and it's at 60Hz or 1440P at 120Hz. I'm sticking with my 100Hz 900P monitor till then. 

i would still go with the 2GB because its not that much more and it cant hurt to have some headroom incase it needs it

i would still go with the 2GB because its not that much more and it cant hurt to have some headroom incase it needs it

True.

By the way what do you use to measure how much Vram you are using? MSI After burner doesn't work for me for some reason.

did you go into the settings on it and enable the onscreen display for memory?

did you go into the settings on it and enable the onscreen display for memory?

Yeah, still nothing shows.

Yeah, still nothing shows.

did u also set up a hot key to enable and disable it? sometimes it doesnt come up just from setting it you have tu enable it too. when i first started using it it took me like an hour of tinkering to get it to show

did u also set up a hot key to enable and disable it? sometimes it doesnt come up just from setting it you have tu enable it too. when i first started using it it took me like an hour of tinkering to get it to show

Yeah. it only shows FPS and temps. 

Yeah. it only shows FPS and temps. 

huh. thats weird idk maybe ur card isnt supported or something. if its set to show in OSD idk why it isnt