Cheap monitor under £100 - IPS vs TN

uberas

I’m in the market for cheap display. These two caught my attention mostly:

IPS(LG 22MK430H) £90

TN(AOC AOC g2260Vwq6) £80

well, they both have two features that I need:

75Hz and freesync

The only differences I can see are:

response time 5ms vs 1ms (dunno what’s real though) 

TN vs IPS 

I was tempted to buy LG but I’m scared of ghosting or whatever that is? 

Well, my monitor will be used mostly for gaming, but I appreciate better IPS angles and I’m not a pro gamer. Any suggestions? Tnx

12 minutes ago, uberas said:

IPS(LG 22MK430H) £90

75Hz and freesync

TN vs IPS 

Well, my monitor will be used mostly for gaming, but I appreciate better IPS angles and I’m not a pro gamer. Any suggestions? Tnx

Do not get the AOC, I have one and it came with a fuked up bezel and messed up.  That is enough to turn me off with AOC.  Also if your a gamer I suggest 144hz monitor.  WHat is your size preference your resolution you want.  Also TN will give bad viewing angles and IPS will not have these angles and look at the same from any angle and colors wont be all botched up.  If your a graphic artist or use pro apps I would grab a IPS.  If mostly you plan on gaming then get the TN.  Its 2019 you do not want to get a 75hz monitor my friend.  Im just assuming your a gamer and if you are you need 144hz.  What is your budget and what size once again you looking for and what resolution do you want ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Do not get the AOC, I have one and it came with a fuked up bezel and messed up.  That is enough to turn me off with AOC.  Also if your a gamer I suggest 144hz monitor.  WHat is your size preference your resolution you want.  Also TN will give bad viewing angles and IPS will not have these angles and look at the same from any angle and colors wont be all botched up.  If your a graphic artist or use pro apps I would grab a IPS.  If mostly you plan on gaming then get the TN.  Its 2019 you do not want to get a 75hz monitor my friend.  Im just assuming your a gamer and if you are you need 144hz.  What is your budget and what size once again you looking for and what resolution do you want ?

Well, I’m a student at the minute and use my PC for some uni work and light gaming. Using 60Hz at the minute and my rig won’t push anything above 75fps stable (Ryzen 2600 + rx580) just experiencing some stuttering in games although temps and usage are all fine so I guess I need freesync. I don’t have any other requirements, think IPS will suit me more though 

9 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Do not get the AOC, I have one and it came with a fuked up bezel and messed up.  That is enough to turn me off with AOC

thats a DOA issue. not something to do with AOC or the quality of the panel. 

9 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

If mostly you plan on gaming then get the TN.

actually no. TN isnt all that favorable with both VA and IPS getting good enough switch time and cheap enough. 

@uberas if you have the option. 

kick in the extra and get this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FsgzK8/aoc-24v2q-238-1920x1080-75hz-monitor-24v2q

26 minutes ago, uberas said:

IPS(LG 22MK430H) £90

75Hz and freesync

TN vs IPS 

Go IPS

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

thats a DOA issue. not something to do with AOC or the quality of the panel. 

actually no. TN isnt all that favorable with both VA and IPS getting good enough switch time and cheap enough. 

@uberas if you have the option. 

kick in the extra and get this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FsgzK8/aoc-24v2q-238-1920x1080-75hz-monitor-24v2q

There were many ppl saying that actually. I can see similar specs for £20, what’s the difference between yours and mine?

8 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Go IPS

Okay, will do - is that “decent” in that price bracket?

1 minute ago, uberas said:

I can see similar specs for £20, what’s the difference between yours and mine?

the one i linked is 23,8" compared to 22". and 24" is more or less the minimum size id recommend for a monitor. thats tha main difference. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the one i linked is 23,8" compared to 22". and 24" is more or less the minimum size id recommend for a monitor. thats tha main difference. 

Well, I don’t mind - plus it’s almost £120 when I can get that LG for around £80. I think I’ll pick LG, thanks

Just now, uberas said:

Well, I don’t mind - plus it’s almost £120 when I can get that LG for around £80. I think I’ll pick LG, thanks

well, if you dont mind the smaller size. then go ahead. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

well, if you dont mind the smaller size. then go ahead. 

But overall is it gonna be good? Some reviewers pointed out ghosting?

15 minutes ago, uberas said:

Well, I’m a student at the minute and use my PC for some uni work and light gaming. Using 60Hz at the minute and my rig won’t push anything above 75fps stable (Ryzen 2600 + rx580) just experiencing some stuttering in games although temps and usage are all fine so I guess I need freesync. I don’t have any other requirements, think IPS will suit me more though 

YOu shouldn't have any stuttering even if you had a 570 8GB.  Your is pretty much almost a 590 card.  Can you fill in your signature my friend, or state your specs so we can help better assist you.  I strongly suggest getting a 27" or else you will regret a small 22 or 25" monitor.    I remember using my Sony Triniton at 2304x1440 at 22.5 inches.  It was amazing used it for 10 years.  But once you go 27" or higher you will be wowed and shocked at how easy it is to read etc.  I didn't see the US dollar your budget it sorry can't find it.  If you can just state your US dollar ammount well find you the best monitor you can get.  So your ok with 22 or 24" then that is a preference also depends how close you are to monitor.  Got my mate a whole new system and a RX 570 8GB and a 2700x and 32GB 3200Mhz Kit.  Anyhow he has zero stuttering in Tomb Raider so that tells it all.  It is the most powerful engine pretty much at DX12.  You shouldn't even get stuttering at Laral @ 1080p.  So your system is acting weird.  For the heck of it I would run a DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" in safe mode if possible then clean and restart.  Then up in normal mode install the latest video card WHQL driver  and leave vsync off in panel and in game for now and let us know what happens.  Your stuttering just should simply NOT happen.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

10 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

YOu shouldn't have any stuttering even if you had a 570 8GB.  Your is pretty much almost a 590 card.  Can you fill in your signature my friend, or state your specs so we can help better assist you.  I strongly suggest getting a 27" or else you will regret a small 22 or 25" monitor.    I remember using my Sony Triniton at 2304x1440 at 22.5 inches.  It was amazing used it for 10 years.  But once you go 27" or higher you will be wowed and shocked at how easy it is to read etc.  I didn't see the US dollar your budget it sorry can't find it.  If you can just state your US dollar ammount well find you the best monitor you can get.  So your ok with 22 or 24" then that is a preference also depends how close you are to monitor.  Got my mate a whole new system and a RX 570 8GB and a 2700x and 32GB 3200Mhz Kit.  Anyhow he has zero stuttering in Tomb Raider so that tells it all.  It is the most powerful engine pretty much at DX12.  You shouldn't even get stuttering at Laral @ 1080p.  So your system is acting weird.  For the heck of it I would run a DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" in safe mode if possible then clean and restart.  Then up in normal mode install the latest video card WHQL driver  and leave vsync off in panel and in game for now and let us know what happens.  Your stuttering just should simply NOT happen.

It’s 

ryzen 2600(with wraith spite instead of stealth)

b450m ds3h

2x8gb ddr4 3400cl16

sapphire pulse rx580 4gb

evga gq750w

aerocool aero 300

integral 960gb ssd

both cpu and gpu wont exceed 60c under load due to 5x fans in my case

I mean avg 0.1 lows etc are fine measuring it by some tools however I can see some weird screen fluctuations that won’t stop even when I limit my frames to 75. I usually get around 50-80fps on high-v.high 1080p with my rig. Worth noting is I’m using some shitty 1080p tv and honestly I need some monitor to stop my pain, because when I had gtx770 everything was smooth and now with AMD card something is broken with hdmi scaling that my desktop run at 30Hz even if it’s on 60Hz in settings, then games run 60Hz full screen only. It’s clean install so DDU won’t matter I just need panel with freesync I guess 

12 minutes ago, uberas said:

But overall is it gonna be good? Some reviewers pointed out ghosting?

Its probably among the slower IPS panels. So that is to be expected. Its a small downside to the vastly better colors compared to TN panels. 

Id step up the extra, but some ghosting due to slow switching time is to be expected. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Its probably among the slower IPS panels. So that is to be expected. Its a small downside to the vastly better colors compared to TN panels. 

Id step up the extra, but some ghosting due to slow switching time is to be expected. 

I’ve just ordered it for £78.99 from amazon and will see how it goes, always can return it within 30 days 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

The only reason I wouldn't go IPS is if I was a pro eSports world champion in CS:G0 and PUBG lol,,,,,,,, IPS does have some issues as all monitors do.  But if you can grab a IPS for some gaming but lots of content work and Premiere and PS and Illustrator and so on, then without a doubt grab the IPS and I recommend nothing below 24"  If I were in your shoes I would get a 27" or 32".  But def not a tiny 22 or 24 .... This is 2019 not 1999 lol

2 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

The only reason I wouldn't go IPS is if I was a pro eSports world champion in CS:G0 and PUBG lol,,,,,,,, IPS does have some issues as all monitors do.  But if you can grab a IPS for some gaming but lots of content work and Premiere and PS and Illustrator and so on, then without a doubt grab the IPS and I recommend nothing below 24"  If I were in your shoes I would get a 27" or 32".  But def not a tiny 22 or 24 .... This is 2019 not 1999 lol

Oh I didn’t meant any of these, my course is business management, there’s plenty of essay writing or watching stuff. I’ve chosen LG IPS from my post just because I’m annoyed from TN angles and we’ll see

16 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

YOu shouldn't have any stuttering even if you had a 570 8GB.  Your is pretty much almost a 590 card.  

No... the 590 is a 590, the 570 is a 570. Even the 480/580 is a noticeable improvement over the 570 (not that it's a bad card, mine was impressive given its price, but it's no 590). 

17 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Got my mate a whole new system and a RX 570 8GB and a 2700x and 32GB 3200Mhz Kit.  Anyhow he has zero stuttering in Tomb Raider so that tells it all.  It is the most powerful engine pretty much at DX12.  

What? What defines the most powerful engine? Hardest to run, smoothest to run, what? If you're going off hard to run games, Crysis 3 at ultra will make PCs cry more than Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider can. 

17 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Your stuttering just should simply NOT happen.

Ah, finally something that's actually true and not a load of confusing BS. OP shouldn't be getting stutter with that spec, though they could be running niche games that are really hard on the CPU or GPU that cause that. 

5 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

No. Bigger resolutions are better on bigger screens, but a bigger screen on the same resolution looks worse and is harder to read. For text work 21.5" is the best on 1080p, though that is really small so 24" is the best compromise for still being able to read text and enjoy games on a slightly larger screen. 27" is the absolute max for 1080p IMO, I have one at work and it's pretty eh, would much rather a 1440p monitor for this size because I work a lot with spreadsheets and text. For 27-32 I'd go 1440p, 4K any larger than that. 

4 minutes ago, uberas said:

Oh I didn’t meant any of these, my course is business management, there’s plenty of essay writing or watching stuff. I’ve chosen LG IPS from my post just because I’m annoyed from TN angles and we’ll see

My LG IPS monitors have been excellent, very nice contrast and deep blacks and such (makes for nicer looking games and it's much nicer for reading on due to better contrast), what model did you get? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

No... the 590 is a 590, the 570 is a 570. Even the 480/580 is a noticeable improvement over the 570 (not that it's a bad card, mine was impressive given its price, but it's no 590). 

What? What defines the most powerful engine? Hardest to run, smoothest to run, what? If you're going off hard to run games, Crysis 3 at ultra will make PCs cry more than Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider can. 

Ah, finally something that's actually true and not a load of confusing BS. OP shouldn't be getting stutter with that spec, though they could be running niche games that are really hard on the CPU or GPU that cause that. 

No. Bigger resolutions are better on bigger screens, but a bigger screen on the same resolution looks worse and is harder to read. For text work 21.5" is the best on 1080p, though that is really small so 24" is the best compromise for still being able to read text and enjoy games on a slightly larger screen. 27" is the absolute max for 1080p IMO, I have one at work and it's pretty eh, would much rather a 1440p monitor for this size because I work a lot with spreadsheets and text. For 27-32 I'd go 1440p, 4K any larger than that. 

My LG IPS monitors have been excellent, very nice contrast and deep blacks and such (makes for nicer looking games and it's much nicer for reading on due to better contrast), what model did you get? 

Oh I heard that from one of the gurus don't remember who.  Said a 580 OCed is a 590.  I doubt that, was just following what I read someone write and what not.  My bad...

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Oh I heard that from one of the gurus don't remember who.  Said a 580 OCed is a 590.  I doubt that, was just following what I read someone write and what not.  My bad...

A 480 OCed is (basically) a 580. A 580 OCed is (basically) a 590. A 570 is none of those, it's (basically) an OCed 470. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

A 480 OCed is (basically) a 580. A 580 OCed is (basically) a 590. A 570 is none of those, it's (basically) an OCed 470. 

Thank you for clearing that up!

11 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Exactly, pixels per inches does matter, I would go for bigger screen but only if it would be 1440p which is out of budget and performance.

Well, if you’re 60Hz and having less than 60fps you’ll have stutter while if you’re 60Hz and have more than 60fps you’ll experience tearing. How CAN’T I experience stuttering? As I said - FPS are all good, there are dips under 60 sometimes and there’s where stutter comes (it’s like one stutter for a millisecond every 5-10minutes but still annoys me) freesync actually can avoid it.

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Thank you for clearing that up!

I’m having Rx580 4gb, not RX570 and 4gb could be the reason of stutter but that does stutter even with 200fps csgo sometimes. 

But trust me, something is really wrong with my tv, I think it was meant to run 1080i which is 24 or 30Hz and it’s running 60Hz lol

1 minute ago, uberas said:

I’m having Rx580 4gb, not RX570 and 4gb could be the reason of stutter but that does stutter even with 200fps csgo sometimes. 

But trust me, something is really wrong with my tv, I think it was meant to run 1080i which is 24 or 30Hz and it’s running 60Hz lol

Yes you should be getting 100fps even in newer titles.  Something is off.  4GB can cause possibly stuttering but since the card uses your RAM as VRAM it shouldn't really stutter unless you have hard disk drive and what not.

3 minutes ago, uberas said:

If you're on a TV rn, there could be some BS settings on still. I have a 4K TV, it has massive, massive input lag stock. With all the features ever turned off, it feels the same as my 60Hz 5ms monitors. And you should be fine with 4GB, I paired my RX570 4GB with a 5Ghz 8600K for a bit, ran Destiny 2 at 120-144fps on medium/low with textures on ultra. 

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes you should be getting 100fps even in newer titles.  Something is off.  4GB can cause possibly stuttering but since the card uses your RAM as VRAM it shouldn't really stutter unless you have hard disk drive and what not.

Well I was thinking about it, but actually nope, most of the games use around 3.4GB of VRAM. I’m telling ya smth is wrong with that TV, you can actually check it out. Give me one moment