Used 1080ti or new 2070 Super?

Hi everyone, 

With the release of the 2070 Super I am considering upgrading to be able to get the most out of my 1440p 144hz monitor.

I am currently in doubt between getting a 2070 Super or a used 1080 ti, since their used prices are quite attractive and the 2070 Super (not to mention the 2080 (Super)) prices are ridiculously inflated where I live.

A used 1080 ti is about half to two-thirds of the price of a new 2070 Super in my country.

So, what are your thoughts about about both cards? What are the benefits of one over the other? 

What about a 2080? Same chip as 2070S

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1080 ti used is better overall, you can get them for 400€, (way lower than a 2070 S) and performing the same or better.

A good aftermarket 1080 ti can run cooler than a 2070S Reference or a mediocre aftermarket 2070S. 

Obviously you are losing RTX capabilities when you buy a 1080 ti, If you don't care about that. Go for the cheap, used 1080ti

7 minutes ago, Mr.Mago said:

1080 ti used is better overall, you can get them for 400€, (way lower than a 2070 S) and performing the same or better.

A good aftermarket 1080 ti can run cooler than a 2070S Reference or a mediocre aftermarket 2070S. 

Obviously you are losing RTX capabilities when you buy a 1080 ti, If you don't care about that. Go for the cheap, used 1080ti

Mediocre 2070s? It’s badically a 2080. Yes 1080Ti has more vram, but it’s also older technology.

as to running cooler, any evidence ? (Out of curiosity)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

8 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

What about a 2080? Same chip as 2070S

Took a look at those too but for some reason there is about a €200 price difference between the cheapest 2070S and 2080(S). I assumed because of the new Supers, the regular versions had to go and would get a discount, but nope, they just priced the Super models higher. 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

Mediocre 2070s? It’s badically a 2080. Yes 1080Ti has more vram, but it’s also older technology.

as to running cooler, any evidence ? (Out of curiosity)

With mediocre 2070S I was refering to cheap aftermarket 2070S models with not enough ventilation due to its low price and offerince little to no improvement over the Reference model.

My own 1080ti runs at 1980-2000mhz not even reaching 70º C on full load, mostly staying between 64º to 67º. A reference 2070 Super can reach higher than 70º under load to my understanding

1 minute ago, Mr.Mago said:

With mediocre 2070S I was refering to cheap aftermarket 2070S models with not enough ventilation due to its low price and offerince little to no improvement over the Reference model.

My own 1080ti runs at 1980-2000mhz not even reaching 70º C on full load, mostly staying between 64º to 67º. A reference 2070 Super can reach higher than 70º under load to my understanding

I did some digging about the 2070S models too, and the cheap custom cards like the MSI Ventus perform worse than the Founders Edition while also being hotter and noisier. 

And the better custom cards are priced much higher than the FE.

4 minutes ago, L. Kenter said:

I did some digging about the 2070S models too, and the cheap custom cards like the MSI Ventus perform worse than the Founders Edition while also being hotter and noisier. 

And the better custom cards are priced much higher than the FE.

And that's why I NEVER recommend buying a cheap variant of a high-end card. I can understand buying a cheap model with a low end to mid end GPU because it does not impact on anything (other than saving some money). but with high TDP and powerful high end gpus. just go with a good custom card always.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Mago said:

And that's why I NEVER recommend buying a cheap variant of a high-end card. I can understand buying a cheap model with a low end to mid end GPU because it does not impact on anything (other than saving some money). but with high TDP and powerful high end gpus. just go with a good custom card always.

Alright, so a used, high-end 1080ti model for less money would be a better option than a cheap 2070S. I'm still afraid on missing out on cool RTX stuff in the future, but since the performance impact is so insane I'll probably never use it anyway. Maybe when RTX does become an actual valid option to turn on, I'll get the RTX 40-something.

1 hour ago, L. Kenter said:

Alright, so a used, high-end 1080ti model for less money would be a better option than a cheap 2070S. I'm still afraid on missing out on cool RTX stuff in the future, but since the performance impact is so insane I'll probably never use it anyway. Maybe when RTX does become an actual valid option to turn on, I'll get the RTX 40-something.

Ahh... Wise man