What should I upgrade to increase my performance without causing bottleneck issues

Go to solution Solved by Damascus,
5 minutes ago, RasAlgoon said:

Thanks for the advice 

I run at 2560x1440 

the monitor is 165 hz g-sync

If I were to go for a cpu upgrade should I just move to the 7700k or should I invest in something else 

again Thank you for the advice, this was my first build I made it last year and I still have a lot to learn 

Don't change the CPU to another kabylake meh option, you'd be far better off with a 9xxx or 3xxx chip.  If I was in your situation (wanting to max out new games at 1440/165) I would throw all of the money possible towards the GPU end of things.  The 7700 isn't bad, and a 2080 ti + 7700 would stomp on a 2080 + 9900k

Really I'd wait for the next gen of gpus given your already solid 1070 ti

Hey, I'm thinking of blowing some money on an upgrade of my current build, and as much as I just want to grab a new rtx card, I don't want to create a terrible bottleneck.

(My device is used for gaming primarily and I want to be ready to run the new doom eternal at max)

The current build is as follows
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti (msi Duke)
SSD: WD Blue 3D 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) -
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB 
MBD: Asrock Z270 Killer SLI/ac

(Long story but another reason I want to upgrade is because of an extra motherboard I have lying around 

msi z370 gaming plus)

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

CPU is gonna be your best upgrade.

Yes that non K version CPU is bringing down your FPS with your already 1070 that you have.  What resolution do you play at and what settings and what games.  I don't see a point to upgrade anything right now.  What is it that you expect that your not getting with your currnet 7700 and 1070Ti and sh*T.  Your blowing wad for no reason imo.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

Yes that non K version CPU is bringing down your FPS

It's more of a fact that it's just not a good CPU. I wouldn't expect a 7700K to be a much better option at this point in time.

Plus a CPU upgrade is the only one that makes sense...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's more of a fact that it's just not a good CPU. I wouldn't expect a 7700K to be a much better option at this point in time.

Plus a CPU upgrade is the only one that makes sense...

I agree your right.  I mean a 1070Ti is not a slouch.  Very bad time to upgrade video.  If you play at 1080p resolution then you don't need a upgarde imo just yet.  If you want to play at 1440p that 1070Ti would hang but of course you will have dips in frame rate and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

If you want to play at 1440p...you will have dips in frame rate and what not.

1070Ti is basically a 1080, I have my doubts about that.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

@Crunchy Dragon Thanks for the advice 

I run at 2560x1440 

If I were to go for a cpu upgrade should I just move to the 7700k or should I invest in something else 

again Thank you for the advice, this was my first build I made it last year and I still have a lot to learn 

8 minutes ago, RasAlgoon said:

@Crunchy Dragon Thanks for the advice 

I run at 2560x1440 

I would go for either an 8700K or one of the new Ryzen chips.

5 minutes ago, RasAlgoon said:

Thanks for the advice 

I run at 2560x1440 

Don't change the CPU to another kabylake meh option, you'd be far better off with a 9xxx or 3xxx chip.  If I was in your situation (wanting to max out new games at 1440/165) I would throw all of the money possible towards the GPU end of things.  The 7700 isn't bad, and a 2080 ti + 7700 would stomp on a 2080 + 9900k

Really I'd wait for the next gen of gpus given your already solid 1070 ti

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious