Build a PC for the first time, and performing worse than my prebuilt

Go to solution Solved by coleslaw2442,

Finished troubleshooting and fixed the problem. The Intel Integrated Graphics drivers were not installed, so I performed a clean installation of the integrated graphics drives and let the computer restart and reboot. Then I turned it off after the reboot, installed my graphics card, and disabled integrated graphics, and now everything is performing even better than my prebuilt! Thank you, everyone, for your help.

I previously had an HP Envy 750-437cb that had an Intel I7-6700 in it. I later purchased the RTX 2060 Super for iRacing. I decided to upgrade my PC because my GPU was throttling and my motherboard didn't have as many RAM slots I wanted. I purchased all of the components (PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F9pVr6) and built it with my friend. However, I ran some other games besides iRacing and found that I wasn't getting the FPS I wanted, most of the time barely reaching 30 fps. I thought that my CPU had high background usage, but the task manager showed the CPU was under 10% load. I'm really confused and scared. Help!

6 minutes ago, coleslaw2442 said:

I previously had an HP Envy 750-437cb that had an Intel I7-6700 in it. I later purchased the RTX 2060 Super for iRacing. I decided to upgrade my PC because my GPU was throttling and my motherboard didn't have as many RAM slots I wanted. I purchased all of the components (PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F9pVr6) and built it with my friend. However, I ran some other games besides iRacing and found that I wasn't getting the FPS I wanted, most of the time barely reaching 30 fps. I thought that my CPU had high background usage, but the task manager showed the CPU was under 10% load. I'm really confused and scared. Help!

the link you posted that i had to copy and paste and had problems doing it shows the 6700, what exactly did you upgraded?

only the gpu?

did you removed the old gpu drivers by using the tool called ddu?

7 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Link doesn't work for me on mobile for some reason

Edit: never mind, it works

what works, the link or your pc

1 minute ago, goto10 said:

what works, the link or your pc

The link obviously, had to remove the parentheses on the end

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

then i understood wrong

that list is what you have now and the ho prebuilt is not used, correct?

did you installed windows 10 clean or did you kept the windows 10 from the prebuilt?

This sounds kind of like you just forgot to download graphics drivers imo

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

or connected to the onboard gpu on the i7

where are you connecting the monitor, in the motherboard or in the rtx?

22 hours ago, goto10 said:

then i understood wrong

that list is what you have now and the ho prebuilt is not used, correct?

did you installed windows 10 clean or did you kept the windows 10 from the prebuilt?

Yes. I didn't purchase a new processor because of my already bought Z270 motherboard, so I stuck with my solid I7-6700. The list I have now is what is on my computer. I kept my Windows 10 from my prebuild, but all of my drivers are a clean installation. Do you think I should reinstall Windows 10 and all of my apps?

22 hours ago, fasauceome said:

No. That was the first thing I did was install the latest Nvidia drivers. Graphics are better, but the CPU is always high usage.

This is what I would check first. My cousin had a PC with a 1070 and complained about really low fps in Siege. I checked and he was using his CPU's onboard graphics.

23 hours ago, goto10 said:

the link you posted that i had to copy and paste and had problems doing it shows the 6700, what exactly did you upgraded?

only the gpu?

did you removed the old gpu drivers by using the tool called ddu?

I kept the CPU the same, and upgraded from Intergrated Graphics to my RTX 2060 Super, and built the rest of the computer later, after I got all of the parts. I also upgraded to 32 GB of RAM in my prebuilt, that I transferred over to my new build. I performed a clean installation of my drivers via GeForce Experience, but I will try DDU.

Just now, Random_User said:

This is what I would check first. My cousin had a PC with a 1070 and complained about really low fps in Siege. I checked and it was using his CPU's onboard graphics. 

I checked device manager, and only my RTX 2060 Super showed up. No Integrated Graphics showing up.

I'm connected to the GPU itself.

Should I try reseating the CPU? Or should I search for new drivers for it? It's running on 2009 Microsoft drivers.

4 hours ago, coleslaw2442 said:

Yes. I didn't purchase a new processor because of my already bought Z270 motherboard, so I stuck with my solid I7-6700. The list I have now is what is on my computer. I kept my Windows 10 from my prebuild, but all of my drivers are a clean installation. Do you think I should reinstall Windows 10 and all of my apps?

Do you mean you are using the same activation code for windows 10 or you are using the same installation of windows 10? When you change motherboard, you have to have clean slate. You need to format and i'd disable any onboard graphics from the bios too.

1 hour ago, tfninja said:

Do you mean you are using the same activation code for windows 10 or you are using the same installation of windows 10? When you change motherboard, you have to have clean slate. You need to format and i'd disable any onboard graphics from the bios too.

he doesnt have to install from clean, windows 10 can adapt, is not ideal but it can be done

I'm going to perform a clean installation of Windows. Hope this will solve the problem.

Finished troubleshooting and fixed the problem. The Intel Integrated Graphics drivers were not installed, so I performed a clean installation of the integrated graphics drives and let the computer restart and reboot. Then I turned it off after the reboot, installed my graphics card, and disabled integrated graphics, and now everything is performing even better than my prebuilt! Thank you, everyone, for your help.