GPU Troubleshooting Black Screen 2070 Super on Win 7

MCDELTAT

I should have known better to scope things out before going all in, but Linus taught me the right way.

I'm upgrading one of our 3D designers workstations at work from a 1060 6GB to a 2070 Super. He reallly wanted his smaller Dell XPS tower upgraded instead of his newer MSI Prebuilt, just because he has more software and things over on it (It's running Windows 7 still). It was a really tight fit and the USB front panel header was displaced.

I swapped out the Graphics Cards, power lights on the GPU were good. It booted into Windows fine, but had a super low resolution of 800x600. I downloaded the newest Nvidia 431.60 GeForce Driver (Nvidia doesn't ship Studio Drivers for Windows 7) and installed just the driver. It gets past the Windows load, gets to the driver, and then goes black with no signal. So what's the quickest way to debug? Safe Mode and then uninstall the driver? Should I use an older driver? Or?

Did you DDU before installing the 2070? IF not Download Display Driver Uninstaller WITH your 1060 in. Boot into safemode and Run DDU removing drivers, then once thats complete Shut down the system. Then plug the 2070 in and download driverrs and that should work.

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

Did you DDU before installing the 2070? IF not Download Display Driver Uninstaller WITH your 1060 in. Boot into safemode and Run DDU removing drivers, then once thats complete Shut down the system. Then plug the 2070 in and download driverrs and that should work.

I was really hopeful this would work. Dropping back in the 1060 was stable in Safe Mode, DDU worked and got me back into Windows with the 2070 Super but with the same low resolution. I installed the drivers only in "Custom Mode" to ensure they were gone, but on a reboot, nope. Displays everything up to Windows 7 load and then goes black.