Power Supply Clicking Noise

EJOE

Hello, I bought an EVGA 500 watt plus certified power supply.  I bought it off of someone and when I used it after a little while it starts to make a clicking sound. I called EVGA and they told me it could be the fan. And I cannot get a refund unless I have the receipt (which I don't). I looked at some other posts and I read that it was dying and to get a new one. But is there anyway to fix it or maybe it is the PSU fan? Additionally, it hasn't affected performance or anything (but after I heard the clicking sound I immediately took it out of the system.

Most likely the clicking sound comes from the bearing. Low quality bearings can start clicking earlier than others. It's not dying, but you can only reasonably get rid of it by replacing the fan, but to do that, you need to choose the same one or a better one, and be careful that the one you chose isn't slower or moves less air than the original.

17 minutes ago, EJOE said:

it could be the fan

Easiest way to tell, power up the power supply, when you hear the clicking noise, carefully (carefully!) insert something non conductive (I use a toothpick) in the shroud to stop the fan. If the clicking stops, it's the fan, if not, then the problem is elsewhere.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Most likely the clicking sound comes from the bearing. Low quality bearings can start clicking earlier than others. It's not dying, but you can only reasonably get rid of it by replacing the fan, but to do that, you need to choose the same one or a better one, and be careful that the one you chose isn't slower or moves less air than the original.

Is it a big deal if you keep the same bearing?

You mean the same defective fan? It will keep rattling and may die sooner. And if the power supply doesn't have over temperature protection (you didn't tell us what PSU you have...), then it may never know that its fan is broken and overheat. 

17 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

You mean the same defective fan? It will keep rattling and may die sooner. And if the power supply doesn't have over temperature protection (you didn't tell us what PSU you have...), then it may never know that its fan is broken and overheat. 

Okay thanks