Is water cooling optimal?

I don't have any experience with the RM series, I have the AX860i right now.  The thing I don't like about the AX860i is that at 40 degrees it turns on the fan, and the lowest speed is 40% (don't remember what it is in rpm).  And thats actually kinda loud.  I could hear it over the fan on the stock intel cpu cooler under load.  If I had to buy a replacement psu for some reason I'd get the RM1000.  Since they claim it to be silence optimized, maybe they put a quieter fan in there or it can spin at a lower rpm.  Corsair also claims the fan doesn't start till 40% power on the RM and 20% on the AX.  Although I've had the psu putting out over 300 watts (according to Corsair Link) before on mine with the fan still off.

yeah, I wouldn't go with the 750D (or any Corsair case with that style front) if I was planning on using an optical drive. 

Okay so rm850 it is, I don't need a 1000 watt, and as for the case, when I say water cool it, i mean a h100i, so 650d will do, and it has a built in fan controller, I could use, and blue ray drive would run me about 80 usd for a external, if not more.

Thanks for all the help much appreciated, can use that money towards something more useful :) This forum prooves to be amazing time and time again :)

Mouse: Razer Death Adder 2013 Keybaord: Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013

Okay so rm850 it is, I don't need a 1000 watt, and as for the case, when I say water cool it, i mean a h100i, so 650d will do, and it has a built in fan controller, I could use, and blue ray drive would run me about 80 usd for a external, if not more.

Thanks for all the help much appreciated, can use that money towards something more useful :) This forum prooves to be amazing time and time again :)

yeah, the only reason I'd go for the 1000 is that 40% before the fan turns on, that'd mean 400 watt's of fan free power assuming the temps stay low enough...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

yeah, the only reason I'd go for the 1000 is that 40% before the fan turns on, that'd mean 400 watt's of fan free power assuming the temps stay low enough...

Okay what would you go for gtx 780, or a r9 290 watercooled, or a 780ti not water cooled?

Okay what would you go for gtx 780, or a r9 290 watercooled, or a 780ti not water cooled?

I'd wait a few weeks, maybe a month, and see how much of a thing Mantle is now that its actually released...  then I'd make my decision between the 290X and the 780Ti based on which one does better in the games you play and the resolution you play

btw don't listen to amd fanboi's claiming "the amd cards gets better fps so get that" or nvidia fanboi's claiming "the nvidia cards get better fps so get that"

look up the bench marks yourself.  cause I've seen them go both ways.  and a good way to spot a potential fanboi is someone that calls out someone else for being a fanboi of the opposite product...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

I'd wait a few weeks, maybe a month, and see how much of a thing Mantle is now that its actually released...  then I'd make my decision between the 290X and the 780Ti based on which one does better in the games you play and the resolution you play

btw don't listen to amd fanboi's claiming "the amd cards gets better fps so get that" or nvidia fanboi's claiming "the nvidia cards get better fps so get that"

look up the bench marks yourself.  cause I've seen them go both ways.  and a good way to spot a potential fanboi is someone that calls out someone else for being a fanboi of the opposite product...

Yeah I was paying attention to bench marks, and it doesnt seem like they can decide which way to go, but I dont think 780 ti, will be needed for 1080p gaming, so im thinking something lower end like 290(non x) but I wont play a single mantle game, or the 780(non ti), where shadow play will help because I wanna start streaming, and recording more, and i play moslty physx games, yeah 780 sounds better. There is still something in me that wants a custom loop, still cant get away from it, so to justify maybe a 780 with a water block not a 780 ti with a water block.

Yeah I was paying attention to bench marks, and it doesnt seem like they can decide which way to go, but I dont think 780 ti, will be needed for 1080p gaming, so im thinking something lower end like 290(non x) but I wont play a single mantle game, or the 780(non ti), where shadow play will help because I wanna start streaming, and recording more, and i play moslty physx games, yeah 780 sounds better. There is still something in me that wants a custom loop, still cant get away from it, so to justify maybe a 780 with a water block not a 780 ti with a water block.

just for the record, a non watercooled 780Ti will perform better than a watercooled 780...

If you wanna watercool, go for it.  I wasn't trying to talk you out of it, just give you realistic expectations.  Cause I know I was disappointed with what people said about watercooling and how it actually turned out...  mostly from all the "silent" this and that everyone was claiming...

just for the record, a non watercooled 780Ti will perform better than a watercooled 780...

If you wanna watercool, go for it.  I wasn't trying to talk you out of it, just give you realistic expectations.  Cause I know I was disappointed with what people said about watercooling and how it actually turned out...  mostly from all the "silent" this and that everyone was claiming...

Okay makes sense, that actually puts stuff in a better perspective, and the pull to water cool, is starting to go away. Would you recommend a 780ti, or dual 780s?

Okay makes sense, that actually puts stuff in a better perspective, and the pull to water cool, is starting to go away. Would you recommend a 780ti, or dual 780s?

I'd go single Ti cause to me min FPS is more important than average.  the Ti will have a higher min FPS than the 780's will,  when doubling up on cards, (amd or nvidia), minimum FPS stays the same as having one card, but average and max FPS goes up.  think of it this way, if you're playing a game (hypothetical very high load game in the future) and at certain high load points it dips down to 25 on the SLI 780's or 35 on the single 780Ti.  you will notice a dip down to 25, you'll prolly still notice 35, but not nearly as bad.  now take average frame rate, the 2 780's will be higher, lets say 20 fps higher... the difference between 50 and 70 fps isn't nearly as noticable.  thats my 2 cents on it

I'd go single Ti cause to me min FPS is more important than average.  the Ti will have a higher min FPS than the 780's will,  when doubling up on cards, (amd or nvidia), minimum FPS stays the same as having one card, but average and max FPS goes up.  think of it this way, if you're playing a game (hypothetical very high load game in the future) and at certain high load points it dips down to 25 on the SLI 780's or 35 on the single 780Ti.  you will notice a dip down to 25, you'll prolly still notice 35, but not nearly as bad.  now take average frame rate, the 2 780's will be higher, lets say 20 fps higher... the difference between 50 and 70 fps isn't nearly as noticable.  thats my 2 cents on it

Makes sense but why does it dip more? Will go for the 780 ti then, because I definetly dont want dips, there what ruin the expirence, and it usually dips in a intensive moment that is important, so actually need that extra bit of frames.

Makes sense but why does it dip more? Will go for the 780 ti then, because I definetly dont want dips, there what ruin the expirence, and it usually dips in a intensive moment that is important, so actually need that extra bit of frames.

the minimum FPS is typically dictated by your best single gpu, doesn't matter how many of them you have.  if you have a single 780 or 4 of them, the min rate will stay more or less the same.  somehow thats just the way it works... dont know why

the minimum FPS is typically dictated by your best single gpu, doesn't matter how many of them you have.  if you have a single 780 or 4 of them, the min rate will stay more or less the same.  somehow thats just the way it works... dont know why

Made sense thanks for the tip. Im also starting to second think my idea of going for a sniper 5, what would be better a sniper z87, or the sabertooth z87?

Made sense thanks for the tip. Im also starting to second think my idea of going for a sniper 5, what would be better a sniper z87, or the sabertooth z87?

I had a better experience with my Gigabyte board than I did with my Asus formula, but there are way to many variables with haswell to claim that Gigabyte is better overall.  You'll be fine with pretty much any mainstream popular mobo brand.  the 3 you listed are all good boards

I had a better experience with my Gigabyte board than I did with my Asus formula, but there are way to many variables with haswell to claim that Gigabyte is better overall.  You'll be fine with pretty much any mainstream popular mobo brand.  the 3 you listed are all good boards

Thanks you mind if I list out the parts and maybe you can say something about it?

i7-4770k

Asus sabertooth z87

Gtx 780 ti acx

H100i

Sp120(will undervolt)

Corsair 650d (external to internal usb 3.0)

Corsair rm850

Corsair vengence pro 1866 16 gb

Samsung evo 250gb

Segate Barracuda 2tb

Blue ray drive from my current system.

Thanks you mind if I list out the parts and maybe you can say something about it?

i7-4770k

Asus sabertooth z87

Gtx 780 ti acx

H100i

Sp120(will undervolt)

Corsair 650d (external to internal usb 3.0)

Corsair rm850

Corsair vengence pro 1866 16 gb

Samsung evo 250gb

Segate Barracuda 2tb

Blue ray drive from my current system.

looks good to me.

if you're not obsessed with your psu fan never spinning up, you can step down to an RM750 or 650 and save 40-50 bucks

btw, if you have more questions, maybe you should just pm me so we don't keep bumping a thread in the watercooling sectoin about not watercooling stuff