Upgrading to Ryzen 3600x?

Been away for while and haven't been up to date with Ryzen 3600x launch and benchmarks. Just wondering about the new 3600x and if its worth purchasing it over the 2600x when it costs 1.5x as much. Is the 7nm architecture a big improvement? I will mainly use it for gaming and will not be manually OC so staying with X version to use its automatic boost system. Also how are the thermals for 3600x? Been scared to go AMD after reading about 2700X massive power draw and high temperatures. Will be using my Corsair h100i on it.

Also will be factoring in motherboard as well. If there is no huge disadvantage to pairing 3600X with a X470 motherboard. I'm planning to get a x470 motherboard instead of x570 motherboard. I know there needs to be an update to the bios. Also will be using my current Hyper X Predator ram rated at 3200mHz if that matters.

Basically whats better for its price in gaming performance and thermals? 2600X or 3600X for 1.5 times the cost of the 2600X.

Get the 3600 not the 3600x,  the difference between them is like 2-4% in most games or applications, you are basically paying $50, or 125% more for a better stock cooler and the letter X in the name.  Otherwise yes, its a great chip atleast in the 3600 form and is being widely hailed as the performance for price bargain of the summer, completely unmatched outside of picking up a good deal on a used CPU.  Put the extra $50 on low latency ram or a future GPU upgrade

Yes, 3600x is a noticeable improvement over 2600x. Although I would go with 3600 non X and overclock it manually. It will save you money and give same results.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Your cooler can handle it. Thermal is ok.

Why would you buy x470 instead of x570? I've heard ram overclock is better with x570.

3600 is cheaper and you won't feel difference in performance compared to x version.

17 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

Get the 3600 not the 3600x,  the difference between them is like 2-4% in most games or applications, you are basically paying $50, or 125% more for a better stock cooler and the letter X in the name.  Otherwise yes, its a great chip atleast in the 3600 form and is being widely hailed as the performance for price bargain of the summer, completely unmatched outside of picking up a good deal on a used CPU.  Put the extra $50 on low latency ram or a future GPU upgrade

14 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Yes, 3600x is a noticeable improvement over 2600x. Although I would go with 3600 non X and overclock it manually. It will save you money and give same results.

13 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

Your cooler can handle it. Thermal is ok.

Why would you buy x470 instead of x570? I've heard ram overclock is better with x570.

3600 is cheaper and you won't feel difference in performance compared to x version.

I am going with X470 motherboard as it costs much less and the ASUS ROG Strix F X470 is on sale for me. As well as X570 boards having active cooling is a no go for me.

As for 3600 vs 3600X. I'm not planning on manually OC and just letting everything run at stock with PBO. So I'm assuming 3600X would be better to suit my needs.

Basically for me 2600X costs $200 3600 costs $250 and 3600X costs $300.

I'm just assuming for using stock settings the X variant would give me better performance.

Edited by QRCodeKiller

Also to note if my monitor has any affect regarding the decision between the two cpus.

I game at 1440p and my monitor is capable of 144hz. GPU is RTX2070.

10 minutes ago, QRCodeKiller said:

As for 3600 vs 3600X. I'm not planning on manually OC and just letting everything run at stock with PBO. So I'm assuming 3600X would be better to suit my needs.

Basically for me 2600X costs $200 3600 costs $250 and 3600X costs $300.

Stock for stock the performance difference is that 2-4% (and thats very liberal %, its often 0.5-2% if anything in games) i mentioned, its really not worth it.  Its so close its nearly "margin of error" difference in performance 

I mean its not a bad chip eitherway, you just aren't getting much of anything for the 50$ unless you really really like the upgraded stock cooler (which isn't needed to keep either chip cool)

The 3600 costs the same as that 2600x you want and is decidedly the better chip all around.  It should be $200 unless you have some issues securing one from whoever it is you are planning to purchase it from, and they theoretically marked it up and you are really choosey about buying it from them. 

5 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

Stock for stock the performance difference is that 2-4% i mentioned, its really not worth it.  Its so close its nearly "margin of error" difference in performance 

I mean its not a bad chip eitherway, you just aren't getting much of anything for the 50$ unless you really really like the upgraded stock cooler (which isn't needed to keep either chip cool)

The 3600 costs the same as that 2600x you want and is decidedly the better chip all around.  It should be $200 unless you have some issues securing one from whoever it is you are planning to purchase it from, and they theoretically marked it up and you are really choosey about buying it from them. 

For the price, things work weirdly in NZ. If it really is only that small difference then I really wouldn't care to get the 3600 and use that at stock. 

I use a 3600 with the same cooler you have and so far it's been great. Save the money with the 3600 and buy some games

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x