Scared about esd

3 minutes ago, goto10 said:

that is what you know, or believe to know, but your apartment is not the same of any other apartment in the rest of the planet, remember that a forum is visited by people around the world, and not every country has strict regulations about grounding, wirings, security in general, so one should take that onto consideration

Ok hold on....this is getting serious now..

Tell me how do you use the anti static wrist strap.

I recommend connecting the alligator clips to the power supply screws while the power cable plugged in and power is turned off . Now funfact, how will anti static wrist strap work when a house doesn't have proper earthing. You won't be grounded. It's the same logic. 

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

10 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

Ok hold on....this is getting serious now..

Tell me how do you use the anti static wrist strap.

I recommend connecting the alligator clips to the power supply screws while the power cable plugged in and power is turned off . Now funfact, how will anti static wrist strap work when a house doesn't have proper earthing. You won't be grounded. It's the same logic. 

a antistatic wriststrap requires to be connected to a proper grounding terminal, if you dont know if the house has proper grounding, you are not doing anything apart from taking a risk, a electric discharge

the clip and the psu, if the psu is painted, or the screws, you are not grounded, the paint isolates the electricity, most psus these days come painted in black, same for the screws

some people connect the clip directly onto a power outlet, but if you dont know which one of the holes is ground or if is properly grounded, well, you will not have a good day surely

the wriststrap is meant to be used on certain situations where components are very delicate, but a motherboard, cpu or ram are not delicate anymore, the human body is alot more delicate and you should think on your own security first

use shoes, dont touch metallic contacts on the motherboard, ram or cpu, you will be fine, if i never had a electrostatic discharge in 20+ years working with pcs under so many circumstances, is extremely unlikely you will be capable of generate a discharge big enough to damage a component

my last pc, the one i built 3 weeks ago, i wasnt even using shoes! i should have killed all the parts!  

no, all is well, even under dangerous conditions for you, and perhaps for the parts, nothing happened

about the idea of touch your case to drain any esd, is the same if is painted, you drained nothing into nowhere basically

13 minutes ago, goto10 said:

a antistatic wriststrap requires to be connected to a proper grounding terminal, if you dont know if the house has proper grounding, you are not doing anything apart from taking a risk, a electric discharge

the clip and the psu, if the psu is painted, or the screws, you are not grounded, the paint isolates the electricity, most psus these days come painted in black, same for the screws

some people connect the clip directly onto a power outlet, but if you dont know which one of the holes is ground or if is properly grounded, well, you will not have a good day surely

the wriststrap is meant to be used on certain situations where components are very delicate, but a motherboard, cpu or ram are not delicate anymore, the human body is alot more delicate and you should think on your own security first

use shoes, dont touch metallic contacts on the motherboard, ram or cpu, you will be fine, if i never had a electrostatic discharge in 20+ years working with pcs under so many circumstances, is extremely unlikely you will be capable of generate a discharge big enough to damage a component

my last pc, the one i built 3 weeks ago, i wasnt even using shoes! i should have killed all the parts!  

no, all is well, even under dangerous conditions for you, and perhaps for the parts, nothing happened

about the idea of touch your case to drain any esd, is the same if is painted, you drained nothing into nowhere basically

So you mean to say antistatic wrist bands are of no use?

Most of the country have regulations regarding grounding.

I have been building PC's for over 15 years and I have never encountered any esd issue.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

8 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

So you mean to say antistatic wrist bands are of no use?

Most of the country have regulations regarding grounding.

antistatic wriststraps have a use, properly used and installed, for example in a electronics laboratory, where is mandatory to have them all the time but on those places you handle lots of components, solder stuff, disasemble and reassemble parts that are not protected against esd

in your house, if you dont know if proper grounding exist, if the case is all painted, personally i dont use them

for peace of mind, you should use them, you should do what is right, if you know what is right, and how to use them, of course

to assemble or disassemble a pc, i dont personally know anyone using them when not working inside a company demanding its use

remember that one thing is have laws, regulations

other thong is see those laws and regulations be applied strictly