Need help buying a Mac! Calling all Mac advocates!

Ok, so I have been looking into preparing to buy a laptop for the future (ie. Uni or College). I am looking at either base MacBook Airs or a low-end base MacBook Pro in 2019. I have a Windows PC now for real workloads but I want to get a Mac laptop because 1) Macs are the only way girls will talk to you, 2) For quick, painless(-ish) use, like Microsoft Office, I feel that Macs are better based on past windows laptop experiences, 3) Good to broaden my OS knowledge for potential jobs and interoperability, 4) Lightweight and easy to carry around and make a good, well-known impression. My only concerns lately that I need help with are, 1) Compatibility with a potential NAS that I plan to set up (ie. what file formats are compatible to use and what to look out for when setting up remote drives in finder or disk utility) and 2) that I am probably missing a whackton of things to take into consideration. All I need is for a few Mac experts to help this poor PC guy make the right choices please! Thanks ahead of time!

Air

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I would go for a higher storage air over the base Pro. I have a 256 air and it’s been great to me, I have a PC for gaming and after using a MacBook windows is rather frustrating so be warned for that. 

Personally don’t use office on it I use Pages, Keynote and Numbers. However they all can be exported to office formats for use on windows machines but I’m not sure if they can do it the other way around. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

I would go for a higher storage air over the base Pro. I have a 256 air and it’s been great to me, I have a PC for gaming and after using a MacBook windows is rather frustrating so be warned for that. 

Personally don’t use office on it I use Pages, Keynote and Numbers. However they all can be exported to office formats for use on windows machines but I’m not sure if they can do it the other way around. 

Perfect, thanks a lot for the office and OS advice, this is greatly appreciated! :) 

Personally own a MacBook Air 2017 that I use for pretty much everything. Agree with Lord Vile that a higher storage air is a better purchase than a base model pro. Both the office apps from Apple and the office suite from Microsoft work perfectly fine. I do prefer to open documents in the app they are created in; exporting and importing don't always play nicely with everything (SmartArt in Microsoft Office is a great example).

I don't really understand what you mean by 'missing a whackton of things'... I never had the idea that I couldn't do something. You might sometimes need a minute to figure out the 'Mac way' to do something, but there was never anything I completely couldn't do.