Cable Whine?

Navic

I have a Corsair CX550M power supply that is 80+ Bronze certified. I have had problems with this power supply (I'm on my third power supply of this variant now) in that the fan would make a lot of noise, like it was hitting the grill or osmething inside, so I'm used to it having problems. My current one has gone on for about one and a half years without problems, powering my OC Ryzen 5 1600 (3.8GHz @ 1.325V (I think)) and a 1060 6GB.

I decided to get an EVGA 2080 super XC, but when I plugged it into my system and started up a CSGO FPS benchmark, I heard a really loud and concerning whine coming from where the PSU cables connect to the GPU. Is this because the PSU can't handle the 2080s, or that there is something wrong with the card? 

Questions welcome to get to a solution.

cables dont really make noise, its either the VRM or the PSU thats making that noise. Seeing as you used CS:GO i wouldnt be surprised if its not both

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

cables dont really make noise, its either the VRM or the PSU thats making that noise. Seeing as you used CS:GO i wouldnt be surprised if its not both

It didn't sound like it was coming from the VRMs though, just where the power connectors are. Could there be something there that could be causing the whine?

I also think it's good to mention that it didn't sound like typical coil whine, as it seemed way too loud to me, louder than anything else in my system.

Could I still run the 2080s safely even with that noise?

oh, i already know what's happening here

dual forward and 2080

it's a general issue with the cx550m and about any dual forward

39 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

oh, i already know what's happening here

dual forward and 2080

it's a general issue with the cx550m and about any dual forward

Could you explain what "dual forward" means, and if it is a problem and shouldn't run my 2080 on the PSU?

3 minutes ago, Navic said:

Could you explain what "dual forward" means, and if it is a problem and shouldn't run my 2080 on the PSU?

dual forward is a topology used mainly on older dc-dc regulated PSUs. it's mostly been replaced, and is in place of the cxm and vs, but has been replaced in the others

what it means for you (and actually for me as well) is that it starts to whine under higher loads with high end gpus (1070+). the only thing you can really do about it is to replace the unit by something higher end like a txm (to compare it inside the same company)

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

what it means for you (and actually for me as well) is that it starts to whine under higher loads with high end gpus (1070+). the only thing you can really do about it is to replace the unit by something higher end like a txm (to compare it inside the same company)

So I should be fine if I run the 2080, and I dont have to worry about damage to the card/psu/any other component connected to the PSU? 

Just now, Navic said:

So I should be fine if I run the 2080, and I dont have to worry about damage to the card/psu/any other component connected to the PSU? 

no, it's just really annoying

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

no, it's just really annoying

Great, thanks!

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

an OCP protection that will trip

the opp, because it doesn't have ocp

21 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Right. So if newer PSUs don't use dual forward then how do they work? is there an independent converter for each voltage?

as far as i know they do, but don't quote me on it