Really dodgy wifi

I live in the UK and I have a Plusnet Hub One router (an ISP standard issue router). My Ethernet connected main computer and Xbox run at top speeds, at around 60 Mbps, which is the fastest offered by my ISP. However, on devices like my laptop over WiFi I struggle to get more than 20 Mbps. This would normally be fine, as I can plug into Ethernet when I need fast internet, but when i try to stream to devices, I also experience lag and often the WiFi will cut out altogether. The connection can usually be fixed by putting the device into aeroplane mode for a few seconds, but this is incredibly annoying to do every fifteen minutes of Netflix. The same is true with websites; they will stop loading half way through. 

I have tried fiddling with the routers channels and made sure all devices are utilising dual band, but to no avail. I don`t mind spending £150 or so on a Router or Mesh network, but would like to know if this would actually solve the problem, or whether the problem lies with something else, such as neighbouring interference. I would greatly appreciate any advice whatsoever on how to fix my issues.

5 minutes ago, WJ_Wale said:

appreciate

If you were to sit next to your wi-fi unit and run the laptop, would you get better than the 20 Mbps you are getting now? Does it still continue to fall off the network?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you were to sit next to your wi-fi unit and run the laptop, would you get better than the 20 Mbps you are getting now? Does it still continue to fall off the network?

Yes, when i`m sitting in the same room, it is ever so slightly faster but still falls off the network

54 minutes ago, WJ_Wale said:

Yes, when i`m sitting in the same room, it is ever so slightly faster but still falls off the network

Sounds like a dodgy wi-fi router. Not being in the UK I can't comment on the legality of this, but does your ISP allow switching up to a different router? What about updating the firmware on the existing one?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Sounds like a dodgy wi-fi router. Not being in the UK I can't comment on the legality of this, but does your ISP allow switching up to a different router? What about updating the firmware on the existing one?

My ISP allows router upgrades, but we had the same problems on a different ISP. However, having looked into it, both ISP s used exactly the same router in different casing. I think this is probably the issue, but I wasn't sure if I sure should just buy a new router or invest in a mesh network

Just now, WJ_Wale said:

My ISP allows router upgrades, but we had the same problems on a different ISP. However, having looked into it, both ISP s used exactly the same router in different casing. I think this is probably the issue, but I wasn't sure if I sure should just buy a new router or invest in a mesh network

I'd start with a new router, something you can control yourself, maybe with DD-WRT you could put on it (assuming you are capable and the ISP is okay with that, again, UK vs USA laws...) and on the odd chance the issue persists, you can return the router and look into other issues.