Can anyone tell me what this is?

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

This is a SATA card with a breakout bracket to 2x eSATA, which is External SATA. This was pretty popular a few years ago (like 2007-2012) until USB3 came out and became mainstream, as that offered more bandwidth than the typical SATA 2.0 link used by eSATA.

I found this expansion card when clearing out my dads office and i have no idea what it is. The board itself has no ports on the back of it but it has a seperate part with 2 ports that look like sata but dont fit a sata cable and those ports are connected to the main board by sata cable 

See picture 

Please help im really curious as to what it is and what it does

20190731_153506.jpg

This is a SATA card with a breakout bracket to 2x eSATA, which is External SATA. This was pretty popular a few years ago (like 2007-2012) until USB3 came out and became mainstream, as that offered more bandwidth than the typical SATA 2.0 link used by eSATA.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

This is a SATA card with a breakout bracket to 2x eSATA, which is External SATA. This was pretty popular a few years ago until USB3 came out, as that offered more bandwidth than the typical SATA 2.0 link used by eSATA.

So its basically a card for old external drives?

1 minute ago, d00m1ord said:

So its basically a card for old external drives?

Old enclosures, yes, as eSATA was primarily used to connect external harddrives. You can still get eSATA enclosures and use a harddisk in there to connect to a card like this. eSATA is fast enough for any harddrive, USB3 is better suited to SSDs.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Old enclosures, yes, as eSATA was primarily used to connect external harddrives. You can still get eSATA enclosures and use a harddisk in there to connect to a card like this. eSATA is fast enough for any harddrive, USB3 is better suited to SSDs.

Ok many thanks it was driving me crazy thanks for helping