FTP SERVER ADVICE

Hey all, 

I'm looking to build a home file server to backup all of my devices locally and have the ability to access my files from anywhere via FTP.

I'm looking for recommendations on parts and software considering I have $450 for the machine before hard drives. I will probably run a raid 10 of 4x 2tb drives so 4 or more sata ports on the motherboard is a must. 

In terms of software I'd like something free with a GUI and easy compatibility with Plex.

Here is a list of parts that I might go with:

- Ryzen 2200g

- gigabyte b450 aorus Marx

- 8 gb of 3000mhz vengeance lpx

- cooler master mwe 500 bronze

Kingston-A400-120G-SATA - only if needed for os

- case - an mdf box

51 minutes ago, Genericplane said:

the ability to access my files from anywhere via FTP.

please don't use ftp, sftp atleast, or scp or sshfs is much better as there much more secure. ftp has cleartext pascodes, so anyone on the network can know your password.

52 minutes ago, Genericplane said:

raid 10 of 4x 2tb drives

Why such small drives, id go 2x 8tb drives to start, get those external 8tb drives, there a great deal.

53 minutes ago, Genericplane said:

case - an mdf box

Id get a normal case, much easier to work with, and probably cheaper too.

I would recommend seafile instead of FTP, I use this software to host my own personal dropbox and backup my parents files.

If you're still taking suggestions.  Nextcloud is a secure way to sync files across platforms as they have clients for every operating system.  You can just pick up a synology box for ease of use or if you really want the extra performance just install FreeNAS and use the nextcloud plugin.  You May want to change your memory vendor to g.skill and get FlareX as it is an AMD approved part.  A lot problems circulating regarding getting their RAM to the XMP designated speed.  You'll definitely want to call Corsair and gigabyte regarding the QVL parts list.

Another small recommendation, AsRock seems to be a little bit better for the Ryzen platform in terms of motherboard support.