1u Console Cooling

Josephdalepi
Go to solution Solved by Kered124,

You should be able to cool it in a 1U chassis with a copper cooler- just make sure you have adequate airflow- it shouldn't be too loud if you're using decent fans. You will most likely have to make your own mounting bracket, though. My only warning with this is to not overtighten the cooler. You are likely working with a fragile die and if you over-tighten, or unevenly tighten your heatsink, you could crack the die.

Long story short, i have some 1u cases that are empty, my only question is whether anyone knows whether a 1u cooler of any kind can support a ps4, ps3, xbox 360, and/or xbox one.  not ps4 pro or one x, i dont have 4k and i dont think theyd be happy.

i know im gonna have to add a lot of fans, but im hoping to stick with noctua.  i was thinking one of those all copper ones with 3 or 4 fans directed towards it? i have a 3d printer so i can do shrouds, im just wondering if its possible to keep it quit and cooled.

It might be, sort of need to know the TDP you're trying to cool.

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

It might be, sort of need to know the TDP you're trying to cool.

Thats why I specified the consoles

So if you already know the TDP you're cooling and what the capacity of the coolers you're looking at using are...what is the question?

19 hours ago, Bitter said:

So if you already know the TDP you're cooling and what the capacity of the coolers you're looking at using are...what is the question?

its possible im dumb but i literally cant find the tdp anywhere, i mostly posted cause i was frustrated

Ok, so you need help finding TDP and cooler capacity, we can help with that.

15 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ok, so you need help finding TDP and cooler capacity, we can help with that.

yeah, sorry for my wording being awful, im just having a lot of trouble finding actual tdp instead of just whole console power consumption

2 hours ago, Josephdalepi said:

yeah, sorry for my wording being awful, im just having a lot of trouble finding actual tdp instead of just whole console power consumption

Well most (maybe all modern) console CPU/GPU's are fairly off the shelf parts, maybe a product that's not available to the public but it should still have some specs online somewhere. Find what CPU and what GPU the console uses and then check a wikipedia article for that line of CPU or GPU or CPU or search for articles like this one.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/171375-reverse-engineered-ps4-apu-reveals-the-consoles-real-cpu-and-gpu-specs

So a HD7870 and 8x Jaguar CPU cores, find a Jaguar or Kabini 8 core CPU with roughly the same clock speed and use that TDP, use the TDP for a HD7870, and you'll get an idea of how much cooling is needed.

Be aware, active 1U coolers are LOUD.

You should be able to cool it in a 1U chassis with a copper cooler- just make sure you have adequate airflow- it shouldn't be too loud if you're using decent fans. You will most likely have to make your own mounting bracket, though. My only warning with this is to not overtighten the cooler. You are likely working with a fragile die and if you over-tighten, or unevenly tighten your heatsink, you could crack the die.

2 hours ago, Kered124 said:

so i should be good for all of them then? my only concern was having to buy duplicates to test stuff out a bunch.  ill still do testing of course, just not as weird.  thank you

They should fit into a 1U case as long as they are made for a 1U server- but double check measurements first.