What CPU should I get for VM's

So I'm looking for a new workstation that I can take to school with me and I have been looking at the Lenovo ThinkCentre M725s SFF Desktop computer, the dell OptiPLex 7060, or the dell Precision 3430. The cpu in the lenovo is the AMD Quad-Core Ryzen 5-2400, the cpu in both of the dells is the Intel Six-Core i5-8500. I plan on upgrading the ram myself to have the max of 64GB, unless I am able to fit more in there. Which System has the better CPU for Virtualization/ Running of VM's. The reason I'm looking at these systems because they are small enough to travel with, I'd take my full tower desktop if I could.

The i5 will have better multicore performance so it would be better for VMs

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'm not extremely versed with VMs, however, it is my understanding that the more headroom you have in terms of system resources, the better for VMs. I would instantly take the six cores offered by Intel over the four physical cores offered by the Ryzen. I love Ryzen with a burning passion, but the more cores you have the better as far as I know. I'm sure someone will correct me though if I'm off base though!

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

8 minutes ago, Theerix said:

So I'm looking for a new workstation that I can take to school with me and I have been looking at the Lenovo ThinkCentre M725s SFF Desktop computer, the dell OptiPLex 7060, or the dell Precision 3430. The cpu in the lenovo is the AMD Quad-Core Ryzen 5-2400, the cpu in both of the dells is the Intel Six-Core i5-8500. I plan on upgrading the ram myself to have the max of 64GB, unless I am able to fit more in there. Which System has the better CPU for Virtualization/ Running of VM's. The reason I'm looking at these systems because they are small enough to travel with, I'd take my full tower desktop if I could.

Just build your own ITX system? With a Ryzen 7 8 core?

You probably don't need 64gbs of RAM though.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Just build your own ITX system? With a Ryzen 7 8 core?

You probably don't need 64gbs of RAM though.

Thats also a possibility, but im looking for something that is small form factor, and these systems are already build and cheap, and the 64gb would be so i can run as many VM's as possible