to oculus or not to oculus

Ciccioo

so i see all the hype and all the people excited about the oculus, and i wonder if there are people out there who, like me, are totally not excited about it
i'm fine with the pursue of new ways of interaction with the pc, but i don't see the oculus as a good one

i have problems with both the idea of the oculus and the particular implementation we all know:
- tracking head movements is an attempt of letting the user control the virtual body, but you can't really use that to look around, you will end up using the good old mouse, and having the motion tracking enabled will just feel weird and result in uncomfortable usage
- you could say that devices are going to come that will allow the user to have a really good control over the virtual body, but you still won't be able to actually run around. there will always be this wall on the interaction side, it's kind of an "uncanny valley" for controls: the more natural they get, the less natural they feel, because your brain feels tricked
- wires

all of these considerations where imho, and i never tried the oculus myself, so yep

I would enjoy the oculus plus that no friction board thing....

Diamond 5 in League :)

I would enjoy the oculus plus that no friction board thing....

if you're talking about that walking thing at pax prime, i thought it was pretty terrible... you would wrap yourself up in the oculus' wires, while noisily trying to move in the game

Oculus itself isn't too exciting but its a step into the future of VR and should at least be respected for that i think.

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

Well as a past owner of a dev kit I can say: it needs atleast 1080P because you can see pixels. It nedds a better setup process. It needs a dedicated steam section so you can get oculus games and demos easily. It needs more use friendly ness, even though I know what im doing it was a pain in the ass. And it also needs to be wireless and less bulky as well as affordable and a tag along to other devices that will offer a better vr experience.

I won't be happy until we have NerveGear. 

I know right? Haha! That would be awesome

On topic. One thing that concerns me is (Me living with my parents) that would be annoying cause you would need to take the rift off.

If there was a button or something and a small camera on the front that would be useful...

- wires

Oculus has said that there will be wireless model released.

I am extremely excited for the Oculus Rift! I play a lot of racing games with my G27 and surround monitors so the rift should really improve my experience. I've seen videos of people using the it in multiplayer FPS games and it doesn't seem much different than using the TrackIR.

To oculus, AND BEYOND!

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

so i see all the hype and all the people excited about the oculus, and i wonder if there are people out there who, like me, are totally not excited about it

i'm fine with the pursue of new ways of interaction with the pc, but i don't see the oculus as a good one

i have problems with both the idea of the oculus and the particular implementation we all know:

- tracking head movements is an attempt of letting the user control the virtual body, but you can't really use that to look around, you will end up using the good old mouse, and having the motion tracking enabled will just feel weird and result in uncomfortable usage

- you could say that devices are going to come that will allow the user to have a really good control over the virtual body, but you still won't be able to actually run around. there will always be this wall on the interaction side, it's kind of an "uncanny valley" for controls: the more natural they get, the less natural they feel, because your brain feels tricked

- wires

all of these considerations where imho, and i never tried the oculus myself, so yep

Oculus

Joystick+Thruster

Star Citizen

Oculus will be amazing for games where your character is sitting down, mainly flight/space simulators and racing, and that's what I'm getting it for.

Well as a past owner of a dev kit I can say: it needs atleast 1080P because you can see pixels. It nedds a better setup process. It needs a dedicated steam section so you can get oculus games and demos easily. It needs more use friendly ness, even though I know what im doing it was a pain in the ass. And it also needs to be wireless and less bulky as well as affordable and a tag along to other devices that will offer a better vr experience.

I think it's quite affordable in comparison with literally everything else that has ever existed. Wireless would be awesome, but I don't think that's possible yet due to the latency.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

- wires

I'd say the first 2 really depends on the game.

For a racing game, its going to be great, or just cockpit games in general.

You can get a decent car setup and its going to feel very close to the actual real world version, and actually be better to play with than a mouse.

I know when I was playing a flying game in the HD prototype It was far easier for me to fly and keep an eye on objectives as I could just look at it out of windows and such, which I find hard with a mouse.

Other game types, we will still need the mouse, or more likely controller for to help us, FPS currently sometimes need it to "boost" the view around to do a 180 spin without actually being turned around properly.

And then other games will need the mouse entirely, like point and clicks, but on the other hand VR only games will be there too, so whilst there will be games that can't use VR there will be VR only to balance it a bit more.

For the last point, unfortunate currently, we just don't have the tech to make the wireless work well enough. The current prototype has a sub 20 ms latency (16 I think I saw Palmer mention?) and adding wireless would just increase that, when they are aiming to stay sub 30 I think.

In a few iterations time, I'm sure we will get there. Personally incredibly hyped for it, as its cheap and offers a compelling experience, but there are things that could be better but are limited by current technology level we are at.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

wait for consumer model.

Wait for Gsync.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.