USB Microphone for a job interview over the phone

Hey all, I have a job interview in a couple of hours and I'm wondering if it's worth using a stand alone mic instead of my phone. I use a CAD U37 USB mic daily(pretty average) and I'm pretty sure i can use it with a Type C adapter.

Is this worth it or am i way overthinking this and need to calm down?

Job is at a phone repair shop but it's the first time anyone's responded to my application in months.

imprving your ability to understand each other for something as crucial as an interview is a a pretty significant thing.  I would say it's worth it if it makes it sound better but if you are running into technical issues with it then it's probably not worth it best to run some tests by seeing how stable it is and record yourself with and without the usb mic and compare how good you sound.

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

imprving your ability to understand each other for something as crucial as an interview is a a pretty significant thing.  I would say it's worth it if it makes it sound better but if you are running into technical issues with it then it's probably not worth it best to run some tests by seeing how stable it is and record yourself with and without the usb mic and compare how good you sound.

I know for a fact it sounds better than my S8, most people can't tell the difference between my CAD and a Blue Yeti. i'll be sure to run some tests. Thanks for the advice! Just sucks it's going to be butchered by T-mobile. but i don't think my (hopefully) future employer would be keen on an interview through Discord..

It should make a pretty significant difference. Telephones, including mobile ones, use a very narrow band for audio despite the fact they're no longer limited by the hardware. Typically its 300hz to 3khz. There are reasons and pros and cons for doing it this way, but in a controlled environment like your home, using a real mic should be massive.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

51 minutes ago, AAJoe said:

It should make a pretty significant difference. Telephones, including mobile ones, use a very narrow band for audio despite the fact they're no longer limited by the hardware. Typically its 300hz to 3khz. There are reasons and pros and cons for doing it this way, but in a controlled environment like your home, using a real mic should be massive.

Just found out Android doesn't support USB mics for calls. guess I'm banking on the one in my Senheiser HD4.40's. But that's for contributing!

3 hours ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Just found out Android doesn't support USB mics for calls. guess I'm banking on the one in my Senheiser HD4.40's. But that's for contributing!

from what I remember with my hd 4.40 the mic on my one plus 6t was better . 

3 hours ago, rice guru said:

from what I remember with my hd 4.40 the mic on my one plus 6t was better . 

Didn't get the job anyway so it doesn't matter. currently eating an excessive amount of bean and cheese burritos and watching Helpful Fox Senko-san.

2 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Didn't get the job anyway so it doesn't matter. currently eating an excessive amount of bean and cheese burritos and watching Helpful Fox Senko-san.

Sounds about right. I feel you man I've been job hunting the past year and also watching feel good anime and eating an excessive amount.  Good luck on your future job searches. I just got one myself though but its been a long time coming. Just keep at it. Also job agencies really help.

• 7 months later...

This thread is ancient but I just thought of this at 02:30am for some reason. My phone most likely just couldn't supply sufficient voltage. We called via Hangouts anyway where i could use my desktop and Logitech C920. Nowadays you could just use the Microsoft Phone Companion app to route standard calls through your desktop anyway.

Also i ended up getting a job at the same company, different location. and 6 months later I'm looking at finding another one. Not a fun place to work at.