Looking For New Monitor w/ Specific Features

2G_Tony
Go to solution Solved by SolarNova,

Doens't exists. At least if u mean 'real' response time.

Additionally u would want to look at input latency if ur into that type of gaming. Combined with Response time it adds to total latency which is something you'd want to know to truly compare 'gaming' monitors.

Also dont go by what 'pros' use. For the most part these 'pro (insert specific game) players' are not Display, or even PC, enthusiast, and as such just use what ever gear they are sponsored with or buy based on marketing material.

I suggest u use places like :

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/86

to search using filters for ur needs.

I'm currently building a parts list for a new computer build I plan on getting around January or sooner. So far I have pretty much everything other than the monitor. I'm looking for a monitor that offers a really pleasant gaming experience, both competitively and casually. I used to be really into competitve CS, BF, etc but now I'm a little less competitive and don't care as much about super high RR. I'd like pretty nice colors/quality as well. I'm not sure if one exists for consumers or not, but below are the specifications I'm looking for:

Prefered:
1-2ms Response Time, 4K, G-Sync, 144hz, Ultrawide (34" 21:9 - 40" 32:9)

Would Settle w/:

1-2ms Response Time, 1440p, G-Sync, 120hz, Ultrawide (29" 21:9 - 40" 32:9)

I currently have a 24" Dell S2417DG (1440p, 1ms, 165hz, G-Sync) and really don't want to sacrifice G-Sync, response time, or refresh rate lower than 120hz. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Current System in case you're curious

PC: Ryzen 2600X, EVGA 1080 DT, Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WiFi, Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold, Phanteks  Enthoo EVOLV ATX

Peripherals: Logitech G502 HERO, Cooler Master ML510, Corsair K68 Cherry MX Red, Dell S2417DG YNY1D 24" 165HZ G-Sync 1440p, Acer XF251Q, 

Audio: AKG K7XX, JBL SLR308 MKI, Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen), Sony MDR-7506, Shure SE-215, Audio-Technica AT2020
Server: Dell Poweredge T420 running ESXi, Hosting Plex and Automation services and misc. game servers; 2x Xeon E5-2400, 32GB ECC Memory, ~40TB Storage (Mix of SSDs and HDDs)
Network: Asus RT-AC3100 (Current), Supermicro running pfsense, 10/100/1000/10000 Netgear Switch

Additionally u would want to look at input latency if ur into that type of gaming. Combined with Response time it adds to total latency which is something you'd want to know to truly compare 'gaming' monitors.

Also dont go by what 'pros' use. For the most part these 'pro (insert specific game) players' are not Display, or even PC, enthusiast, and as such just use what ever gear they are sponsored with or buy based on marketing material.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

8 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Not really looking for a "Pro" gaming monitor, just something that wouldn't put me at a disadvantage in competitive games. I'll probably end up going with a 1440P ultrawide or 4K ultrawide with a higher response time and call it a day. As long as I still have G-Sync, 120hz+ I should be fine; although I have never tried playing games on a monitor with a higher response time than 1ms. I'd imagine the 2080 Super should be able to handle whatever I throw at it in 1440P and maintain a stable 120fps, so I might just go with a 1440p monitor. 

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

PC: Ryzen 2600X, EVGA 1080 DT, Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WiFi, Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold, Phanteks  Enthoo EVOLV ATX

Peripherals: Logitech G502 HERO, Cooler Master ML510, Corsair K68 Cherry MX Red, Dell S2417DG YNY1D 24" 165HZ G-Sync 1440p, Acer XF251Q, 

Audio: AKG K7XX, JBL SLR308 MKI, Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen), Sony MDR-7506, Shure SE-215, Audio-Technica AT2020
Server: Dell Poweredge T420 running ESXi, Hosting Plex and Automation services and misc. game servers; 2x Xeon E5-2400, 32GB ECC Memory, ~40TB Storage (Mix of SSDs and HDDs)
Network: Asus RT-AC3100 (Current), Supermicro running pfsense, 10/100/1000/10000 Netgear Switch

21 minutes ago, DarkenedTrial said:

Not really looking for a "Pro" gaming monitor, just something that wouldn't put me at a disadvantage in competitive games. I'll probably end up going with a 1440P ultrawide or 4K ultrawide with a higher response time and call it a day. As long as I still have G-Sync, 120hz+ I should be fine; although I have never tried playing games on a monitor with a higher response time than 1ms. I'd imagine the 2080 Super should be able to handle whatever I throw at it in 1440P and maintain a stable 120fps, so I might just go with a 1440p monitor. 

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

In regards to response time, lower is better. And manufacturer specs in regards to response time can be ignored, they very much bend the truth. I've seen 240hz monitors with claimed 1ms response time actually have a real maximum response time of 22ms, thats to slow for even 60hz.

Response time affects ghosting/blur , the higher the response time the more blur is present, now how much u see is down to the individual, some people are sensitive to it, others not so much, so there may be a point where u stop seeing it regardless or not if its technically there.

In regards to what i've seen reviewed, the

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2716dgr-s2716dg

is the only monitor i know of that has maximum response times fast enough for 120hz, technically it can handle 128hz without ANY blur interfering with frequency. It is 144hz capable but beyond 128hz pixels technically cant transition fast enough in certain situations.

The downside to this monitor is that its picture quality is rather crap. but it is 1440p and great for gaming.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

In regards to response time, lower is better. And manufacturer specs in regards to response time can be ignored, they very much bend the truth. I've seen 240hz monitors with claimed 1ms response time actually have a real maximum response time of 22ms, thats to slow for even 60hz.

Response time affects ghosting/blur , the higher the response time the more blur is present, now how much u see is down to the individual, some people are sensitive to it, others not so much, so there may be a point where u stop seeing it regardless or not if its technically there.

In regards to what i've seen reviewed, the

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2716dgr-s2716dg

is the only monitor i know of that has maximum response times fast enough for 120hz, technically it can handle 128hz without ANY blur interfering with frequency. It is 144hz capable but beyond 128hz pixels technically cant transition fast enough in certain situations.

The downside to this monitor is that its picture quality is rather crap. but it is 1440p and great for gaming.

Thanks for the info. I only know slightly more than the basics when it comes to displays. Usually I just ask my HTPC enthusiast friend but he's unavailable at the moment. After a little bit of looking around, I found this monitor. I think it's a pretty strong contender, but I'll probably keep an eye on anything new that gets released in the coming months. I really like the way UWs immerse you no matter what you're doing. I don't really need a new computer or monitor, but the one I have currently I traded for a gaming laptop. I'm not a fan of how the owner built it and I ended up rebuilding it and upgrading a few components but nothing that really makes an impact on gaming performance. The monitor I have now is great and all, but it feels too small for me now.

A few years ago I would've done some stupid shit to get my hands on the rig I have now(link)... Now its just "eeh" to me for some reason.