GPU running at native x4 without dual GPU.

Go to solution Solved by TMobile,

I don't really have a clue why but maybe try another (older) bios or check whether the slots shares bandwith with other io.

(https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-running-at-pcie-gen-3-x4-and-not-at-x16.3291231/)

I'm running a i7-9700K with a Asus ROG Strix Z390-F paired with a 1080Ti Zotac Amp Extreme

One day my display freeze for a good .5 - 1 second then resumed operation, For once i thought i had overclocked my Cpu to a unstable State(though this might be the case, and the GPU might not have cause this) As i was dialing back the numbers i coincidentally when into my Gpu information and i saw that my GPU is running on x4 Native, correct me if i'm wrong when i plug in my GPU on PCI-E 1 i should run on x16 why is it running on x4? need help on this

screenshot_3285.jpg.7cbb09ab47c96e23cd724f6a9aac2716.jpg

do a benchmark and compare results to other 1080ti and you will see if it is running on full blow

don't think i need to do that to realize there is a problem because i click look up on this software and it shows that my GPU runs on x16, so it makes no sense at all that it is running on x4 without any other GPU on board.

screenshot.3286.jpg

I don't really have a clue why but maybe try another (older) bios or check whether the slots shares bandwith with other io.

(https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-running-at-pcie-gen-3-x4-and-not-at-x16.3291231/)

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

i tried Update or reverting the Bios, still no luck my GPU is still at x4

Any m.2 drives? and some boards actually disable PCIe lanes if somethings plugged in (I think I could be wrong) also is it in the top slot?

EDIT: I did notice you said PCI 1, I would check to see if you touched the Baseclock

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

This is my Set up the one on top of the 1st PCIe is my M.2 Sata Samsung Evo 860, could that be the issue?

IMG_20190724_202546.thumb.jpg.4c0bd40ff971c4c1c3e76a6ddcb1aad1.jpg

35 minutes ago, Espire said:

This is my Set up the one on top of the 1st PCIe is my M.2 Sata Samsung Evo 860, could that be the issue?

Well if it is only using m.Sata it shouldn't. 

The only thing I can thing of is you may be running out of PCIe lanes; however, I always thought that it would still show PCIe x16 if you didn't have enough lanes to saturate x16

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

my SATA device is 1 WD Black 2TB and 1 Samsung Evo 860 

total storage

M.2 Evo 860 SSD x1

WD Black x1

Evo 860 SATA SSD x1

i would not think that this amount of Device would result in this.... would it?

well i reseated my GPU and clean up the PCIe Slots on both my GPU and Mobo its running at x8 now i guess i am safe to guess that my mobo is fine now is just to test if my GPU is the culprit, thanks for walking through this Troubleshooting with me guys =D Thanks @TheThymo for the helpful link and @Emanbaird for information on PCIe Lanes.