Identifying DSL Internet type

Gamer1992
Go to solution Solved by Gamer1992,
3 minutes ago, GRMAN92 said:

Back to my previous point, login to the router and see what you're line is synced at dude. You could have a lot of noise on the line also which would cause the speeds to degrade, ultimately if you are paying for 14meg and not getting it phone your ISP again. Demand a reduction in price or that they come and fix it properly. Without actually being there to do a lot of the testing my advice is limited so apologies for that.

Ok Thanks for the info

Hey Guys,

I have a broadband internet connection supposedly a ADSL2+ which is connected by using a CAT6e cable from the Internet box outside my house. I am getting speeds like 10Mbps down and 0.80Mbps Up, the upload speed is fine but the download speed is staed by my ISP as "Maximum speed that a copper connection can attain" which means around 20-22Mbps can anyone help me out to reach this speed please?

By the way i have tried changing the channels, i am using 2.4Ghz band and my router is Huawei HG658 V2 if this helps. Also is there any way to see which type of dsl am i really connected to?

Thanks in advance!

ADSL2+ gets usual speeds of 10, with overhead driving that down to the 6 range. It's likely you're on VDSL, which is a standard your modem supports.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

12 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

ADSL2+ gets usual speeds of 10, with overhead driving that down to the 6 range. It's likely you're on VDSL, which is a standard your modem supports.

No i saw on a device of the technician which was stated ADSL2+

If you haven't got cable (Virgin Media here in the UK) your speed is entirely dependent on how far away from your local exchange you are. Theoretically yes, ADSL2+ can get speeds of up to 24Mbps, this will only be achieved if you lived right next to the exchange. 

Can you log into your router and check what speed the router is synced at? You'll probably find it's around 1meg faster than what you're currently seeing "real world". 

2 minutes ago, GRMAN92 said:

If you haven't got cable (Virgin Media here in the UK) your speed is entirely dependent on how far away from your local exchange you are. Theoretically yes, ADSL2+ can get speeds of up to 24Mbps, this will only be achieved if you lived right next to the exchange. 

Can you log into your router and check what speed the router is synced at? You'll probably find it's around 1meg faster than what you're currently seeing "real world". 

The maximum connection i can have in 21mbps as stated on the internet information so why am i not  getting it?

3 minutes ago, Gamer1992 said:

The maximum connection i can have in 21mbps as stated on the internet information so why am i not  getting it?

Many environmental factors when you're using WiFi, especially 2.4GHz band. Can you connect to your router using an ethernet cable and see if you get the same speeds?

1 minute ago, GRMAN92 said:

Many environmental factors when you're using WiFi, especially 2.4GHz band. Can you connect to your router using an ethernet cable and see if you get the same speeds?

I get the same speed, i just saw that i am supposed to recieve 14mbps out of 21mbps but i am stuck on 10mbps!

3 minutes ago, Gamer1992 said:

I get the same speed, i just saw that i am supposed to recieve 14mbps out of 21mbps but i am stuck on 10mbps!

Back to my previous point, login to the router and see what you're line is synced at dude. You could have a lot of noise on the line also which would cause the speeds to degrade, ultimately if you are paying for 14meg and not getting it phone your ISP again. Demand a reduction in price or that they come and fix it properly. Without actually being there to do a lot of the testing my advice is limited so apologies for that.

3 minutes ago, GRMAN92 said:

Ok Thanks for the info

8 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

No. 

G992.5 (ADSL2+) can reach speeds of 24Mbit/1Mbit. 

There is no "usual" speed. Your sync rate is completely dependant on your individual line length and condition and the signal attenuation which is dependant on the power, and noise on the line. attenuation increases over distance on copper as the power degrades and/or line noise interfers with the dsl tones. 

Theres also Annex-M which sacrafices some of the download bins, to be allocated to upload - which typically means a max of 21Mbit/3Mbit. 

Also xDSL doesnt get 40% overhead.....your main overhead would be on the ATM encapsulation used by DSL & DOCSIS protocols. 

It's impossible to say if hes on VDSL2, since the way the tone bins are divided for the lower spectrum is the same as ADSL2+, VDSL2 gets its download speed advantage from the higher frequency tone bins which get attenuated far easier. At approximately 1 mile the speeds are indistinguishable. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA