X570 Taichi vs. the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra vs. ROG Strix X570 for 3900x

Any thoughts on the X570 Taichi vs. the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra vs. ROG Strix X570 for the 3900x? I am leaning towards the Taichi, since the VRM's do seem solid. I did buy the ROG Strix X470-F Gaming and can exchange it at Microcenter, but leaning towards just getting an x570 board since I plan on keeping this build for a few years besides a GPU swap in a year once the 1080 Ti needs an upgrade.

i got a better idea. 

NONE OF THEM!!

the only reason to get x570 is pcie4 which nothing supports (other than pcie4 ssd's). 

x570 is a waste of money. they also run hotter and require fans so its adds noise. 

keep your x470 board

I'd say, keep the x470 board unless you have extra money you just want to blow on new stuff.

I was really tempted on getting the x570 Taichi and then I was looking at Aorus Ultra but I have this strange tingle... I feel like "x670" will have a chip designed as a chipset chip, I feel like by "x670" we still won't saturate PCIe 3.0 x16 with GPU's but we might have loads of compatible nvme ssd's. On the other hand, "x670" might be the last AM4 chipset so are you looking to upgrade your CPU sooner or later?

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

Only issue with X570 Taichi is the internal USB-C header - it hits directly where the GPU will be in the PCIe slot closest to the CPU. Other than that, the Taichi is the best board at it's price point. The Aorus Ultra's only real issue is no POST code so if something goes wrong you have to guess based on some obscure LED lights. "ROG Strix" is slightly vague, do you mean the E or the F? the F shouldn't exist, it's not that good of a board compared to others especially at its price point (case in point: the Taichi and even the Aorus Ultra). The E is much better than probably any of the boards you mentioned but it's also way more expensive and if you're looking to spend that much on an Asus board you may as well go to the Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi). It all depends what you don't mind giving up; USB-C internal header (Taichi), POST code (Aorus Ultra) or way more money (ROG Strix E/Crosshair VIII Hero).

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

5 hours ago, AvogadrosDog said:

Only issue with X570 Taichi is the internal USB-C header - it hits directly where the GPU will be in the PCIe slot closest to the CPU. Other than that, the Taichi is the best board at it's price point. The Aorus Ultra's only real issue is no POST code so if something goes wrong you have to guess based on some obscure LED lights. "ROG Strix" is slightly vague, do you mean the E or the F? the F shouldn't exist, it's not that good of a board compared to others especially at its price point (case in point: the Taichi and even the Aorus Ultra). The E is much better than probably any of the boards you mentioned but it's also way more expensive and if you're looking to spend that much on an Asus board you may as well go to the Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi). It all depends what you don't mind giving up; USB-C internal header (Taichi), POST code (Aorus Ultra) or way more money (ROG Strix E/Crosshair VIII Hero).

I think I will end up going with the Taichi, seems like the overall better value for what I am looking to get. I did read last night that ASRock is working on a 90 degree USB-C adapter for this board. I do agree that the biggest issue with the Taichi is that header from all of the reviews I have watched and read. I can give up the USB-C for right now till they send out the adapters.

I think the x470 would be fine, but since I never had an AMD machine might as well go with the x570 instead of a last gen hardware which I can take advantage of some of the future proofing features plus I can safely OC a bit more with this 3900x.

Even when I just ordered x470 for myself and read a few reports of the Taichi chipset fan getting overly loud, I'd still get that on it's price point.

Make sure your case offers fresh air to it and tinker with the fan setup in BIOS and I'm sure that board keeps you happy. And maybe AMD's next gen will have even better IPC and maybe they'll even overclock ?

Oh and if your graphics card is shorter than 22cm it should stay clear of the USB-C header. (No real measurements made, only observed the measurements from a picture)

<Build Log>

1 minute ago, Dubba said:

Even when I just ordered x470 for myself and read a few reports of the Taichi chipset fan getting overly loud, I'd still get that on it's price point.

Make sure your case offers fresh air to it and tinker with the fan setup in BIOS and I'm sure that board keeps you happy. And maybe AMD's next gen will have even better IPC and maybe they'll even overclock ?

Oh and if your graphics card is shorter than 22cm it should stay clear of the USB-C header. (No real measurements made, only observed the measurements from a picture)

I have a ASUS Strix 1080 Ti, so that darn card is not on the short side. But I will make the issue with the USB-C header work once they get that adapter out.

Which x470 did you end up going with?

8 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

I have a ASUS Strix 1080 Ti, so that darn card is not on the short side. But I will make the issue with the USB-C header work once they get that adapter out.

Which x470 did you end up going with?

Went to save over half the price by taking x470 aorus ultra, for 3700X. This is my first AMD platform I've ever had so in the end I proceeded with caution ?

Also partly because pretty much everything is out of stock

<Build Log>

25 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

I think I will end up going with the Taichi, seems like the overall better value for what I am looking to get. I did read last night that ASRock is working on a 90 degree USB-C adapter for this board. I do agree that the biggest issue with the Taichi is that header from all of the reviews I have watched and read. I can give up the USB-C for right now till they send out the adapters.

I think the x470 would be fine, but since I never had an AMD machine might as well go with the x570 instead of a last gen hardware which I can take advantage of some of the future proofing features plus I can safely OC a bit more with this 3900x.

Sounds good man, I would've gone for that board if I was in your position. Going with X570 board also eliminates the need to deal with bios updates before you even put in the 3rd gen Ryzen CPU (although that's not too hard) and most of the X570 boards have suitable enough VRMs to deal with a 12-core CPU, hell, even a 16-core. The price hike is a bit much though, I will admit.

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

2 hours ago, AvogadrosDog said:

Sounds good man, I would've gone for that board if I was in your position. Going with X570 board also eliminates the need to deal with bios updates before you even put in the 3rd gen Ryzen CPU (although that's not too hard) and most of the X570 boards have suitable enough VRMs to deal with a 12-core CPU, hell, even a 16-core. The price hike is a bit much though, I will admit.

I should have gone with this board from the start instead of building a system, then thinking it through and going with the x570. Plus like you said, bios updates will be more frequently with these vs. the older boards. Plus if I ever go 16 core, which I probably won't I'll have the mobo to support it.

2 hours ago, Dubba said:

Went to save over half the price by taking x470 aorus ultra, for 3700X. This is my first AMD platform I've ever had so in the end I proceeded with caution ?

Also partly because pretty much everything is out of stock

I don't blame you either, that was initial thought trying to save a bit on the board. How has things been running for you so far with the Aorus + 3700x? To me the 3700x is the sweet spot for these CPU's and even considered that before getting my 3800x and then swapping to the 3900x. This is also my first AMD CPU in many years, haven't had one since way before the Intel Quad Core series.

1 hour ago, captainzombie said:

I don't blame you either, that was initial thought trying to save a bit on the board. How has things been running for you so far with the Aorus + 3700x?

Well, ahem. I ordered my parts as soon as there was a mobo in stock, but when I finalized the order someone had managed to grab it already. They were in stock for about 15min. So I might not get my parts this week even.

So far the x570 Taichi is the only one along with x470 pro carbon that have been in stock so you could imagine my temptation. Just figured that there's no 400€ worth of improvement in fps between 3700X and 3900X (with the motherboards in question) and my use case doesn't benefit from that many cores and by the time 3700X gets slow for gaming there's at least three new generations already. But that's just me, it could be that "Zen2+" really get's the clocks going :D

As a reference, I'm still using Haswell 1230v3 and it has served me well enough but this upgrade is HUGE

<Build Log>