Help me with intel optane memory module

LazloMo

so i'm planning to buy an ssd bt my motherboard has only one m.2 port [gigabite b360m d3h]  so should i buy intel optane for my mechanical hdd or sould i buy a nvme/m.2 ssd.

one more question. does intel optane only accelerate c drive on my hdd or the whole 1tb hdd drive with all the partitions on it???

Id just get a normal nand ssd and install the os on there.

Why do you have more than one partition on your hdd? Just have one, no reason to do multiple data partitions for most uses.

If you're willing to pay the cost of a NVMe drive you'd probably be best off buying either a 2.5" SATA SSD or M.2 SATA SSD. If you're upgrading from a HDD it will feel world's faster but going from SATA SSD to NVMe it doesn't feel all that much better. Like your OS might load a literal couple seconds faster. Real negligible improvement. The real benefit of NVMe is bandwidth and IOPS both of which become useful or noticeable only under specific use cases. Save the money, buy a larger SATA SSD.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're willing to pay the cost of a NVMe drive you'd probably be best off buying either a 2.5" SATA SSD or M.2 SATA SSD. If you're upgrading from a HDD it will feel world's faster but going from SATA SSD to NVMe it doesn't feel all that much better. Like your OS might load a literal couple seconds faster. Real negligible improvement. The real benefit of NVMe is bandwidth and IOPS both of which become useful or noticeable only under specific use cases. Save the money, buy a larger SATA SSD.

with newer low end nvme drives that are around the same price as sata drives, id get a nvme for most uses. Price is simmilar, and nvme has a few other nice features like lower cpu overhead that are nice to have.

okey so intel optane is out of the options???

one more question. does intel optane only accelerate c drive on my hdd or the whole 1tb hdd drive with all the partitions on it???

6 hours ago, LazloMo said:

okey so intel optane is out of the options???

I believe Linus did a video on Intel Optane. In the video he explains that you have to choose which drive to accelerate. I'll have to locate and re-watch it but unless it's a new feature I don't believe you can use it for more than 1 disk at a time.

6 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I believe Linus did a video on Intel Optane. In the video he explains that you have to choose which drive to accelerate. I'll have to locate and re-watch it but unless it's a new feature I don't believe you can use it for more than 1 disk at a time.

Yah I've pretty much saw all of linus media groups videos from past 6/7yrs.

& Linus made 3/4videos which relates the word optane.

But he only mentioned that it will accelerate the boot drive In this case a mechanical hdd!

But nowhere he mentioned that it will only boost the c drive of a hdd or the entire hdd!

That's what i wanna know!

Cz i can't afford huge storage like u all cz of my goddamn poor country everything is expensive & not in hands reach!

& I'm poor to?

So if optane could boost my entire hdd!

So i could buy me'self a 2tb or bigger hdd & call it a day! 

& Btw the reason i have more then one partitions cz I'm like somewhat Linus where there is no hustle I'll find my self one!

So in case i kill my windows i get to keep my other data like media/games and stuff .

If it was set in the BIOS to accelerate a particular drive it should do it regardless of partition.

If it's set in Windows then to my knowledge it will only accelerate C:/ it won't accelerate other partitions like if you installed Linux adjacent to Windows.

9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If it was set in the BIOS to accelerate a particular drive it should do it regardless of partition.

If it's set in Windows then to my knowledge it will only accelerate C:/ it won't accelerate other partitions like if you installed Linux adjacent to Windows.

btw will u help me on this one?? plz

my motherboard has 4 ram slots i wanna use  em all but i cant afford price of 32gigs. as i already bought an 8gig dimm before... 

so is it possible to use 2x 8gb and 2x 4gb =24gb dims [all of em will be corsair vengence Lpx]????

On 7/23/2019 at 12:55 AM, LazloMo said:

so is it possible to use 2x 8gb and 2x 4gb =24gb dims [all of em will be corsair vengence Lpx]????

It should work. if they're different speeds you may want to avoid using X.M.P. I'm not sure what it'd do. Make sure you install them in alternating slots:

DIMM_A1 -> 8GB
DIMM_A2 -> 4GB
DIMM_B1 -> 8GB
DIMM_B2 -> 4GB

Preferably the 8GB sticks in the A slots (though it probably makes no difference).

15 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

It should work. if they're different speeds you may want to avoid using X.M.P. I'm not sure what it'd do. Make sure you install them in alternating slots:

DIMM_B1 -> 4GB
DIMM_A1 -> 8GB
DIMM_B2 -> 4GB
DIMM_A2 -> 8GB

Preferably the 8GB sticks in the A slots (though it probably makes no difference).

thanks dude for helping me out... it helped alot. and sorry for the bad english

18 minutes ago, LazloMo said:

thanks dude for helping me out... it helped alot. and sorry for the bad english

No problem. I'm pretty sure I screwed up that diagram. You'd want to occupy A1 & B1 with a matching pair then A2 & B2 with the other pair.

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

No problem. I'm pretty sure I screwed up that diagram. You'd want to occupy A1 & B1 with a matching pair then A2 & B2 with the other pair.

its not that of a deal i'll swap and try each combo