Gpu does not work but in other system works.PLEASE HELP!

VirusKilledMyPC
Go to solution Solved by TermudaSquare,

Try installing drivers for 460 before card install if you can. Older motherboards are super finicky with newer cards. 

please read top to bottom!so i built a computer for my friend, but once i turned it on it did not boot to bios only stayed on with the fans spinning. my worst nightmare was yet to come. i slapped my GTX 1050ti into his and it surprisingly worked in my yet to come friends computer. then to make sure this was not a hardware problem, i punched the rx 460 into my system and then when i though it was broken, it worked in my computer.  at this point i was so confuzled and desperate for this thing to work that i smacked my 80+ certified power supply into his system to see if it would work and yet again no signal. keep in mind this is a older lga 1156 platform with 8gb ddr3 ram so i could not test if the processor or ram was damaged, which is highly unlikely because again it worked with my 1050ti. so at this point i was like oh sh**, i need serious help with this computer. to make sure this was not a motherboard problem luckily had one in stock from like from the dinosaur age, dusty and all, and the same thing happened. The 460 did not get signal and the 1050 did. I even cleared the cmos and tried once again to see if the rx 460 would work and you probably could guess what happened. me myself thought i could resolve any computer problem knowing my success rate at repairing issues but here i am on toms forum for help. life is a b. the only thing i could think of is a bad gpu but it actually booted two times and never again after i unplugged the power getting to package it to give to my friend. i really dont get it. please please help.

i have see nthis before. 1st of all make sure bios on your friend is the latest available! 2nd put the card in the second pcie slot. (you can bypass this step if you can find in bios a PCie rom priority setting. change it accordingly.). see what happens. and as it is already stated clear all graphics drivers 1st once you bootin windows. then insatll the driver.

Just now, TermudaSquare said:

Try installing drivers for 460 before card install if you can. Older motherboards are super finicky with newer cards. 

huh, i should of thought that before. that actually might work i'll just install my friends graphics card and hard drive to my computer, then install the drivers.god willing man.i'll keep you updated

Just now, ckinfos said:

i have see nthis before. 1st of all make sure bios on your friend is the latest available! 2nd put the card in the second pcie slot. (you can bypass this step if you can find in bios a PCie rom priority setting. change it accordingly.). see what happens.

well you know how i said it was old, i wasn't kidding. The thing only has one PCIe and the software the motherboard uses is american megatrends. if you don't know those are like the motherboards windows 7 users used back when i was growing up. i'll check if i could update the bios but i highly doubt it knowing how old the software is. hey, you never know!

Just now, VirusKilledMyPC said:

well you know how i said it was old, i wasn't kidding. The thing only has one PCIe and the software the motherboard uses is american megatrends. if you don't know those are like the motherboards windows 7 users used back when i was growing up. i'll check if i could update the bios but i highly doubt it knowing how old the software is. hey, you never know!

for better help you must state the motherboard exact type and brand, cpu and the cards! you just write the chipset for each!

8 minutes ago, VirusKilledMyPC said:

huh, i should of thought that before. that actually might work i'll just install my friends graphics card and hard drive to my computer, then install the drivers.god willing man.i'll keep you updated

Yea should work, there finicky like the old windows 7 systems, ran into the same issue 2 weeks ago. 

Just now, ckinfos said:

for better help you must state the motherboard exact type and brand, cpu and the cards! you just write the chipset for each!

that's my bad. let me clarify things the processor I'm using is a xeon x3440 and I'm using some unbranded motherboard that i found in stock at my place. anyways hope that cleared some things up!

1 hour ago, TermudaSquare said:

Thank you so much! it did not work in the beginning but after a hour i came to the conclusion i was screwed but i though of one last thing i did before and that was clearing the cmos. I thought it would not work. After that, everything ran great.thanks!

21 hours ago, VirusKilledMyPC said:

Thank you so much! it did not work in the beginning but after a hour i came to the conclusion i was screwed but i though of one last thing i did before and that was clearing the cmos. I thought it would not work. After that, everything ran great.thanks!

No problem! Always here to help buddy.