3 Display ports, 1 HDMI port | Whats what?

Naxy
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
8 minutes ago, Naxy said:

So I could use a DVI-D to HDMI, for one monitor, and then an HDMI/DVI-D to DisplayPort for another monitor?

And I don't currently have any Displayport cords, but should I get full cords from HDMI/DVI-D to Displayport, or should I get the adapter? 

Adapters are preferred since you can change the cable to a different length if your setup changes in the future, but they're both internally identical, so it's just a matter of preference. The adapter cables are basically just adapter dongles with cables permanently attached.

Hello;

I was looking at the XFX Radeon RX 5700 and noticed the connectors for it, which it has 1 HIDMI 2.0b, and 3 Displayport 1.4. In what case would you use the HDMI port? Like I am running a 2 monitor setup, would I get 2 HDMI to Displayport cords? Or 2 DVI-D to DisplayPort cords?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great! 

5 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Hello;

I was looking at the XFX Radeon RX 5700 and noticed the connectors for it, which it has 1 HIDMI 2.0b, and 3 Displayport 1.4. In what case would you use the HDMI port? Like I am running a 2 monitor setup, would I get 2 HDMI to Displayport cords? Or 2 DVI-D to DisplayPort cords?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great! 

Just use whatever is convenient, it's not like you have to use the same cable for every monitor.

5 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Just use whatever is convenient, it's not like you have to use the same cable for every monitor.

So I could use a DVI-D to HDMI, for one monitor, and then an HDMI/DVI-D to DisplayPort for another monitor?

And I don't currently have any Displayport cords, but should I get full cords from HDMI/DVI-D to Displayport, or should I get the adapter? 

8 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Adapters are preferred since you can change the cable to a different length if your setup changes in the future, but they're both internally identical, so it's just a matter of preference. The adapter cables are basically just adapter dongles with cables permanently attached.

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

So something like this shouldn't be a problem? https://www.newegg.ca/tripp-lite-p134-000-displayport-to-dvi/p/N82E16812120613

DVI limits you to 1920x1200 ... if your monitor has other connectors like HDMI for example,  it would make more sense to use those

If you have a HDMI cable already but your monitor has only DVI, there are super cheap passive hdmi<->dvi adapters : https://www.amazon.com/Kasstino-Female-Adapter-Plated-Converter/dp/B01IHOQ5GS/ or https://www.amazon.com/Bluelans®-Gold-Plated-Female-Adapter-Converter/dp/B01HT9AALI/

Advanced issues found

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

DVI limits you to 1920x1200 ... if your monitor has other connectors like HDMI for example,  it would make more sense to use those

If you have a HDMI cable already but your monitor has only DVI, there are super cheap passive hdmi<->dvi adapters : https://www.amazon.com/Kasstino-Female-Adapter-Plated-Converter/dp/B01IHOQ5GS/ or https://www.amazon.com/Bluelans®-Gold-Plated-Female-Adapter-Converter/dp/B01HT9AALI/

Both my monitors have HDMI ports. So go with HDMI to Displayport instead?

9 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

DisplayPort to HDMI, yes.

Gotcha.

An example of when to use HDMI, I use display port to my monitor but I also have my tv hooked up to my computer, for that I used a 35 ft hdmi. You just use the best/most convenient hookup that your gear is equipped with