Two 5Ghz bands - TP Link C5400

Bugses

Hi LTT,

I don't know much about networks, so I thought I would ask here. I just bought a TP-Link C5400 and when I set it up, I noticed that it got two 5Ghz bands. Why is that? Should I disable one of them?

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

17 hours ago, Bugses said:

Hi LTT,

I don't know much about networks, so I thought I would ask here. I just bought a TP-Link C5400 and when I set it up, I noticed that it got two 5Ghz bands. Why is that? Should I disable one of them?

Each 5Ghz radio can do up to 2167 Mbps and the 2.4 Ghz radio can do up to 1000 Mbps. Many routers have multiple 5 Ghz radios, that how they are able to advertise 5400 and all that. They take the theoretical speeds that each radio can do and add them together. In the case of your router they did a little rounding. In any case if you disable it or not it doesnt matter. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 7/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, Bugses said:

Hi LTT,

The reason for this is compatibility.

The lower channels are supported by more hardware, but more likely to be used by your neighbors so not the fastest.

The second 5Ghz is probably dedicated to the higher channels, which aren't supported on a lot of 5Ghz hardware but also less likely to be used so potentially faster.

It also means you can spread your clients across both 5Ghz networks, so you can have a high bandwidth device on one, another high bandwidth on the other, without them slowing each other down (on the WiFi at least, its still subject to your broadband and how much the router itself can handle).

The antennas may also more more optimised to their specific frequency range, which could also have some improvement on range and speed.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 7/18/2019 at 5:54 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

The reason for this is compatibility.

The lower channels are supported by more hardware, but more likely to be used by your neighbors so not the fastest.

The second 5Ghz is probably dedicated to the higher channels, which aren't supported on a lot of 5Ghz hardware but also less likely to be used so potentially faster.

It also means you can spread your clients across both 5Ghz networks, so you can have a high bandwidth device on one, another high bandwidth on the other, without them slowing each other down (on the WiFi at least, its still subject to your broadband and how much the router itself can handle).

The antennas may also more more optimised to their specific frequency range, which could also have some improvement on range and speed.

Should I then refrain from setting the channels manually on the 5Ghz bands?

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

22 minutes ago, Bugses said:

That tends to be hit and miss, depending on the router.  I'd certainly try it on automatic first and see if it performs okay.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

5 hours ago, Bugses said:

I'd let it do automatic channel selection - in theory the router is scanning router channels for interference. Plus there are so many more channels on 5GHz (compared to 2.4) that it's much less of a problem.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Alright. I've just been experiencing varying 5GHz readings depending on location and if it's the first or second band. One of them is better when upstairs, and the other seems to be better when I'm downstairs.

4 hours ago, Bugses said:

Alright. I've just been experiencing varying 5GHz readings depending on location and if it's the first or second band. One of them is better when upstairs, and the other seems to be better when I'm downstairs.

And for sure both networks are yours?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

And for sure both networks are yours?

100%. Here are two results, both taken within a minute of each other, both taken on my phone and within 1 meter of the router. The lowest is what is called 5GHz2 band and the highest is 5GHz1.

5144172512.png

5144170356.png

Theoretically the higher frequencies allow a higher transmit power.  I'd also expect even the slight differences in frequency and antenna placement to have some impact on their propagation.  So you'd expect them to have different characteristics, that is kinda the point of having two networks like that.