Upgrading to a Ryzen 9: Is X370 Enough?

I have been using a Ryzen 7 1700X for a few years now and have been absolutely in love with it, however I have felt it lack (in a purely first world problem sense) whenever I transfer from working to gaming. I have been patiently waiting for my time to upgrade and now seems like that time with Ryzen 3000. I am cautious, however, because my board is a Asus Strix x370 F-Gaming and I have heard a wide variety of takes on whether or not X370 is a safe option for Ryzen 3000. I have been looking into getting a B450 or X470 motherboard and then using the old X370 and 1700x as a replacement for my dual Xeon x5690 server. In my searching, I found a pretty good deal on a Crosshair VI on Ebay that's been refurbished. The price is comparable to that of a new B450 or X470 board, in many cases cheaper. I've bought a fair amount of parts on Ebay before and I accept the usual "ifs and worries" that come along with it. My major concern is again, what will I be giving up or losing, if anything at all, putting a Ryzen 9 3900x or 3950x (when it is released) in a X370 board? Thanks is advance everyone!

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

I have an X370 board as well, Gigabyte says mine supports the 3900X so I might see about trying as well. I'll let you know if mine blows up when I get my CPU. And I think all you would lose woulde be PCI-E Gen 4. Most of the reasoning for the active cooling on those boards.

There may be some mobo to mobo variation, but I'm running/testing a stock 3700X on an Asus Prime X370-Pro doing work 24/7 comparable to Prime95 on it. Hasn't burnt my house down (yet).

Edit: I have no way of verifying the following link, but it suggests your mobo should handle an R9 ok.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=639584818

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

11 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

I have an X370 board as well, Gigabyte says mine supports the 3900X so I might see about trying as well. I'll let you know if mine blows up when I get my CPU. And I think all you would lose woulde be PCI-E Gen 4. Most of the reasoning for the active cooling on those boards.

That's what I've heard is that there really isn't any difference with the new X570 boards other than the PCI-E Gen 4. I'm just petrified of spending 500/750 dollars on a 3900x/3950x and it end in a catastrophe. 

There may be some mobo to mobo variation, but I'm running/testing a stock 3700X on an Asus Prime X370-Pro doing work 24/7 comparable to Prime95 on it. Hasn't burnt my house down (yet).

Keep me posted! I currently have a 240MM AIO, which honestly isn't all that much better than my old tower cooler, so I'll probably end up going back to a tower cooler.

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

1 minute ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

That's what I've heard is that there really isn't any difference with the new X570 boards other than the PCI-E Gen 4. I'm just petrified of spending 500/750 dollars on a 3900x/3950x and it end in a catastrophe. 

These processors are literally just fresh out of the oven as well, we'll find more and more people trying to put these processor in their 300 series board eventually.

14 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

These processors are literally just fresh out of the oven as well, we'll find more and more people trying to put these processor in their 300 series board eventually.

It's an unrelated topic, however, in upgrading my server rig, I would have to be getting all new RAM. I have 72GB in the current rig, overkill for what its used for, but I was feeling adventurous. Granted, I was able to just use 4GB modules in the 16 channels and won't be able to do this in the Strix X370 board, but I am curious as to what kind of practical hit would I be taking going from 72GB to 32GB? I run a few Minecraft Servers on the machine as well as a NextCloud VM and Emby Server. I've yet to come anywhere close to touching the full 72GB, but I like to have a lot of headroom just because.

4 minutes ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

It's an unrelated topic, however, in upgrading my server rig, I would have to be getting all new RAM. I have 72GB in the current rig, overkill for what its used for, but I was feeling adventurous. Granted, I was able to just use 4GB modules in the 16 channels and won't be able to do this in the Strix X370 board, but I am curious as to what kind of practical hit would I be taking going from 72GB to 32GB? I run a few Minecraft Servers on the machine as well as a NextCloud VM and Emby Server. I've yet to come anywhere close to touching the full 72GB, but I like to have a lot of headroom just because.

I understand the headroom part I have a server specifically for hosting multiplayer games, with 32 Gigs of RAM. I would graph your RAM usage on the server for an hour or two and see what happens.