Upgrading my RAM. Is this new one compatible with the old one?

This is the old 4gb stick which I intend to keep: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/module/M471B5173EB0-YK0/

Datasheet (pg 4 has the timing and frequency info): https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi/file/resource/2017/11/DS_4GB_1.35V_DDR3_4Gb_E_die_UnbufferedSODIMM_Rev11.pdf

This is the 8gb stick I plan on adding: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/module/M471B1G73QH0-YK0/

Datasheet(pg 4 has the timing and frequency info): https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi/file/resource/2017/11/135V_DDR3_4Gb_Qdie_UnbufferedSODIMM_Rev121.pdf

This is current RAM info from Speccy:

Spoiler

RAM
        Memory slots
            Total memory slots    1
            Used memory slots    1
            Free memory slots    0
        Memory
            Type    DDR3
            Size    4096 MBytes
            Channels #    Single
            DRAM Frequency    797.7 MHz
            CAS# Latency (CL)    11 clocks
            RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)    11 clocks
            RAS# Precharge (tRP)    11 clocks
            Cycle Time (tRAS)    28 clocks
            Command Rate (CR)    1T
        Physical Memory
            Memory Usage    75 %
            Total Physical    3.92 GB
            Available Physical    986 MB
            Total Virtual    8.21 GB
            Available Virtual    2.99 GB
        SPD
            Number Of SPD Modules    1
                Slot #1
                    Type    DDR3
                    Size    4096 MBytes
                    Manufacturer    Samsung
                    Max Bandwidth    PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
                    Part Number    M471B5173EB0-YK0
                    Serial Number    325430780
                    Week/year    31 / 15
                        Timing table
                                Frequency    CAS# Latency    RAS# To CAS#    RAS# Precharge    tRAS    tRC    Voltage
                            JEDEC #1    381.0 MHz    5.0    5    5    14    19    1.350 V
                            JEDEC #2    457.1 MHz    6.0    6    6    16    22    1.350 V
                            JEDEC #3    533.3 MHz    7.0    7    7    19    26    1.350 V
                            JEDEC #4    609.5 MHz    8.0    8    8    22    30    1.350 V
                            JEDEC #5    685.7 MHz    9.0    9    9    24    33    1.350 V
                            JEDEC #6    761.9 MHz    10.0    10    10    27    37    1.350 V
                            JEDEC #7    800.0 MHz    11.0    11    11    28    39    1.350 V

I know it says 1 slot only. But I had a chat with HP Customer Service and they confirmed that the laptop has 2 slots. Also, the specs sheet shows 2 slots in total. All specs seem to match. But I thought I might as well have you guys take a look to confirm.

In theory it should work just fine. The sticks wont run in dual channel mode so having mismatched timings and all that isn't as much of an issue.

I must recommend getting a 16gb kit instead if possible.

-アパゾ

18 minutes ago, APasz said:

In theory it should work just fine. The sticks wont run in dual channel mode so having mismatched timings and all that isn't as much of an issue.

I must recommend getting a 16gb kit instead if possible.

Ahh I see. I had always thought that all specs should be matched regardless of whether I am running single or dual channel. For now I think I will get the 8gb stick and maybe buy another (the same model) later on. If I do that then I should be running in dual channel right?

Just now, APasz said:

Should do.

Cool. Thanks for the help!

42 minutes ago, APasz said:

Should do.

One more question. My laptop which has the Intel HD 520 GPU struggles quite a bit with 4k youtube playback. Now I know that Dual Channel improves the GPU performance in some cases. Could there possibly be an improvement in 4k playback? Also, in that case would it make sense to get a 4gb RAM and run in dual channel at 8gb total memory over getting a 8gb stick and running in single channel at 12gb total?

I am not sure whether its worth it, cos I will rarely be playing videos in 4k. And on the other hand I like to run multiple browers and programs simultaneously. Should capacity trump speed for me?

Dual channel will help with general GPU performance. Which'll likely have a positive effect on 4K playback. Can't say to what degree as that depends on the player.

I can't answer that for you.

I personally as someone who regularly has a couple dozen tabs open, the extra ram would be useful.

-アパゾ

2 minutes ago, APasz said:

Dual channel will help with general GPU performance. Which'll likely have a positive effect on 4K playback. Can't say to what degree as that depends on the player.

I can't answer that for you.

I personally as someone who regularly has a couple dozen tabs open, the extra ram would be useful.

I like to browse with a dozen tabs open as well ?

I will buy the 8gb RAM.