Upgrade Laptop SSD and HDD

Go to solution Solved by AndreiArgeanu,

Well it's prime day. I recommend this ssd from samsung. Really good deal, don't miss it out.

Also if you happen to have a cd drive or at least a bay you could buy a cd caddy which uses the cd drive bay for space for an additional hard drive (my asus laptop came preinstalled with one) and in your 200-300 euro budget you should be able to buy a good hard drive as well for bulk storage that is. 

Edit: Just looked and there are no prime day deals on hard drives.  And the only deals on ssds are on the 240gb sandisk or 1tb samsung ssd. So yeah recommend getting the samsung one.

Hello LTT-community!

This is my first post in this forum, so please tell me if i missed out on telling you anything important about my problem and please excuse if broke any unwritten forum rules...

As my laptops system drive is a tiny 128GB SSD and I have to install quite big and demanding programs on it like Autodesk Revit, Nemetschek Allplan and all the office stuff I quite frequently ran out of space thanks to the Windows 10 updates...

Because i didn't have enough free space to install a certain software I even ended up doing a full 3D Building Modell on my Surface Pro 3 which I can tell you is in no way something anyone would enjoy...

So now I want to end this problem once and for all by upgrading my SSD and maybe the HDD in my Laptop.
Both are easily accessible, I already took them out of the case today to see what my status quo hardware is.

As the programs i use can be quite a pain to migrate between drives I am planning to do a "from scratch install" of the newest Windows 10 Version after installing the new drives into the laptop and install everything else from scratch.

current SSD:
2,5” San Disk X110 128GB SSD

(SD6SB1M-128G-1022I)
SATA 6GB/s
MLC

I don't really know which SSD I should be looking for...

Budget for new SSD: 200-300€

a bit higher also is no problem

Use cases:
Photo Editing with Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher
3D Building Modelling with Autodesk Products like Revit and Nemetschek Allplan. Some Rendering.
Gaming (big games like WarThunder and EAs Star Wars Battlefront II, Total War Games)

To be honest I don't really have any idea what SSD i should replace the current one with besides that it should have at least 1TB of space and be somewhat future proof (maybe as a secondary SSD in my next tower pc should the laptop decide to die)

current HDD:
2,5” Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024,
1TB (most likely OEM stuff)

Cache 8MB
5400 rpm
SATA 6GB/s

For the HDD I am thinking of upgrading to an Western Digital product.

I am not sure which one of the following two to choose and if these would an improvement over my current HDD.

But i have to say that i will gladly risk the 100€ for one of those 2 drives...

CHOICE A

2,5" WD Black mobile (WD10JPLX)
SATA 6Gb/s
Cache 32 MB
7200 RPM

CHOICE B

2,5" WD Blue mobile (WD20SOZX)
SATA 6Gb/s
Cache 128 MB
5400 RPM

CHOICE C

I am always open to suggestions 

Should I prefer Cache over the RPM?
My use cases would be document storage, photo storage (RAW-Files) and 3D model storage as well as not so important steam games. I frequently back up my files and store older files on external harddrives but I like to keep stuff directly on my PC to be able to access it fast.

I really would like some input from the community in the task at hand, thanks in advance!

Laptop Specifications:
Laptop MEDION X782X
motherboard
Intel HM87 (Lynx Point)

BIOS
American Megatrends Inc.
Bios Date 07/15/2014
Bios Version E1763IM7.50P

CPU
Intel Core i7-4700MQ (22nm) - Haswell-MB (4 Cores, 8 Threats)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 – 1GB

GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M [MSI] – 3GB GDDR5 SDRAM

RAM
2x 4GB SK Hynix-HMT451S6AFR8A-PB DDR3 SDRAM (OEM) - 800 MHz (DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800)

Honestly, the choice making point would be how much would you fork out for storage.

In no way will a WD Blue be crippled against a WD Black.

Likewise, a toshiba drive will be cheaper, but not unusable for your application (nor a noticeable downgrade)

Just snatch a good price off a discounted SDD/HDD and ur gud 2 go.

No need to wreck your brain cells on this.

5 hours ago, Xenift said:

Honestly, the choice making point would be how much would you fork out for storage.

In no way will a WD Blue be crippled against a WD Black.

Likewise, a toshiba drive will be cheaper, but not unusable for your application (nor a noticeable downgrade)

Just snatch a good price off a discounted SDD/HDD and ur gud 2 go.

No need to wreck your brain cells on this.

Ok, thanks for your Reply!

Then I will try to get a good priced drive tomorrow at Primeday.

Well it's prime day. I recommend this ssd from samsung. Really good deal, don't miss it out.

Also if you happen to have a cd drive or at least a bay you could buy a cd caddy which uses the cd drive bay for space for an additional hard drive (my asus laptop came preinstalled with one) and in your 200-300 euro budget you should be able to buy a good hard drive as well for bulk storage that is. 

Edit: Just looked and there are no prime day deals on hard drives.  And the only deals on ssds are on the 240gb sandisk or 1tb samsung ssd. So yeah recommend getting the samsung one.