£1000 gaming/editing pc

23 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Was only referring to single GPU graphics cards.

What if SLI comes back? 

3 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

What’s coming in 5 years is there anyway to know how much power a 14 gen intel or 8th gen ryzen is going to use or what other things will change by then?  Sure if you want to buy a £65 PSU that’s going to be used for 5-10 years and thousands of dollars worth of computer parts go for it.  

i won't fully disagree. but I'll name a recent example that changed PSUs: haswell and kepler. those weren't because of wattage, and only the highest of the highest survived, because they were dc-dc or double mag amp, and could handle the voltage differences, unlike many group regulated units, which would make the offset go outside that atx spec

with that logic, only a digitally regulated 300 dollar psu would do

and the txm will be no different in this, it's currently a great psu, and certainly usable for that period

9 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

What’s coming in 5 years is there anyway to know how much power a 14 gen intel or 8th gen ryzen is going to use or what other things will change by then?  Sure if you want to buy a £65 PSU that’s going to be used for 5-10 years and thousands of dollars worth of computer parts go for it.  

Right, it's not like overall power consumption has consistently gone down over the years... /s

If and when they need more power they can just buy a new power supply. Chances are that won't be the case since 550W have been enough for high end systems for the last 10 years. The only reason I can think of to go higher for a build like this is that sometimes higher end PSUs don't come in capacities below 750W. If they wanted more graphics cards that would be a different story but as it stands 550W is plenty.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*