help with surprisingly bad performance

I have just upgraded to an rtx 2060 as of yesterday and i downloaded fortnite just to see the improvement in fps over my previous gtx 1050 which got around 60-100 fps with drops. There was a little bit better performance around 140-150 fps on pretty much all low settings, but there were frequent drops below even 60 fps whenever like anything happened. i also tested maple story 2 which is a game with horrendous optimisation and my fps only went up a little bit too, like 10 fps more, from 20 -> 30. Im wondering what the issue is with my pc, my specs are:  rtx 2060, i7 4790k, 8gb ddr3 ram (1866Mh) ssd for booting and both of the mentioned games and hdd for stuff. I am sorry this is so vague i just really feel there should be better performance, is there maybe some sort of bottlenecking going on? any help appreciated.

I bet the issue is that Fortnite is a shit game badly optimized game.

Is your CPU overclocked? Maybe buy some more RAM.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I bet the issue is that Fortnite is a shit game badly optimized game.

Is your CPU overclocked? Maybe buy some more RAM.

my cpu is not overclocked, im too scared i only have 450 watt psu. so you think its a ram issue, i thought 8gb was enough for most things?

Just now, goshag44 said:

my cpu is not overclocked, im too scared i only have 450 watt psu. so you think its a ram issue, i thought 8gb was enough for most things?

8 GB of RAM is enough for 1080p, especially with 6GB of VRAM.

Try running a userbenchmark test to get a baseline and see which component isn't performing as it should.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

1 minute ago, goshag44 said:

Have you tried to see if it's your CPU that's bottlenecking your GPU or if the RAM is being maxed out?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Have you tried to see if it's your CPU that's bottlenecking your GPU or if the RAM is being maxed out?

how would i do this sir?

7 minutes ago, goshag44 said:

how would i do this sir?

Use something as basic as task manager to monitor RAM usage and GPU usage, or something like HWMonitor.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Use something as basic as task manager to monitor RAM usage and GPU usage, or something like HWMonitor.

image.png.e3d2559b6efc1dc8de0af9bade8f4d0c.png

image.png.398a87b4b80e3291b6867c1cacc1930e.png

20 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

8 GB of RAM is enough for 1080p, especially with 6GB of VRAM.

Try running a userbenchmark test to get a baseline and see which component isn't performing as it should.

generally speaking in the task manager even when gaming the ram is only up to 80% used and the cpu up to maybe 60%

It seems like it might be your RAM that's your bottleneck. Not the amount of it, but how slow it is.

But idk if I trust Userbenchmark anyway

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

19 minutes ago, goshag44 said:

generally speaking in the task manager even when gaming the ram is only up to 80% used and the cpu up to maybe 60%

Didn't notice it was DDR3 at first. You may want to pick up another 8GB stick at 1866mhz. Also it seems your CPU may be thermal throttling or downclocking for some reason. It says you have a base clock of 4ghz and turbo of 2.95ghz.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

37 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

Didn't notice it was DDR3 at first. You may want to pick up another 8GB stick at 1866mhz. Also it seems your CPU may be thermal throttling or downclocking for some reason. It says you have a base clock of 4ghz and turbo of 2.95ghz.

so how would i fix the cpu bottlenecking, or even test/check it?

11 hours ago, goshag44 said:

so how would i fix the cpu bottlenecking, or even test/check it?

The Aida64 trial has a stress test with graphs that show cpu temp relative to clock speeds. If you're thermal throttling you'll see the clock speeds drop once you hit a certain temp.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:38 AM, fluxdeity said:

The Aida64 trial has a stress test with graphs that show cpu temp relative to clock speeds. If you're thermal throttling you'll see the clock speeds drop once you hit a certain temp.

i looked for some ram, and it looks like fast ram is dd4, from what i see, my motherboard only supports dd3, i looked for upgrades but it looks like nothng supports my i7 4790k is my cpu that dated? what should i do, just buy 1 more stick of my slow ram?

On 7/13/2019 at 6:47 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

It seems like it might be your RAM that's your bottleneck. Not the amount of it, but how slow it is.

i looked for some ram, and it looks like fast ram is dd4, from what i see, my motherboard only supports dd3, i looked for upgrades but it looks like nothng supports my i7 4790k is my cpu that dated? what should i do, just buy 1 more stick of my slow ram?

1 hour ago, goshag44 said:

Get DDR3 2400 or faster.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

i did an aida64 test and it turns out when my cpu is 100% load it hits like 95+ degrees on all 4 cores and gets like 20% throttling, even looking at it now, its at 26% load and still at 90+ degrees giving me 10-15% throttling, how do i fix this

On 7/13/2019 at 6:47 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

i did an aida64 test and it turns out when my cpu is 100% load it hits like 95+ degrees on all 4 cores and gets like 20% throttling, even looking at it now, its at 26% load and still at 90+ degrees giving me 10-15% throttling, how do i fix this

On 7/18/2019 at 11:53 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

Get DDR3 2400 or faster.

update: messed around in intel extreme turning utility and got idle temps down to 60-70, whenever i stress test, there is still heavy throttling, my maxcore frequency drops from 4.3 down to 2.4