Frame drops when using dual monitor setup

TwistedJack

I have an Asus ROG PG279Q and an Acer V193HQ. I'm using the second monitor for general web surfing and discord. But when I'm playing a game, i experience frame drops from time to time. Initially, i had both the displays connected to the graphic card, Asus ROG 1080TI, but since the frame drops, I thought it might be cause of the overload on the GPU so i switched the second monitor over to the integrated graphics and had to change the setting for IGPU in the BIOS settings but i still for some reason seem to have the same frame drops even after seperating the two displays.

Most likely a program running on the side of gaming. Have used tripple monitors for years, with one for gaming, and never had that problem.

Have taskmanager up to see what's running while gaming, and when the framedropps happend, look over to see which other program used resourses at that time. Remember to set the view to what pulls the highest. You can switch between CPU and GPU if your Windows is new enough

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

I just checked and it shows that the game is using the most resource. When the frames drop, the game is using about 90% of the cpu resource. Do you know why that might be the case?

4 minutes ago, AndersT2 said:

Most likely a program running on the side of gaming. Have used tripple monitors for years, with one for gaming, and never had that problem.

Have taskmanager up to see what's running while gaming, and when the framedropps happend, look over to see which other program used resourses at that time. Remember to set the view to what pulls the highest. You can switch between CPU and GPU if your Windows is new enough

Which game?

For most games, CPU shouldn't be using that much, it means that the CPU is bottlenecking, and can't give enough information to the GPU.

How much is the GPU using?

For me the GPU is normally when gaming (1080ti) using close to 100%, and the CPU around 50% maybe at times (FPS games like Tomb Raider ect).

It really depends on the game too, what it uses the most CPU or GPU.

What CPU do you have?

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

i also forgot to mention that the acer monitor is pretty old so it has a vga port and i have it connected to the pc with a help of a vga to display port adapter. I'm not sure if that could be problem.

1 minute ago, AndersT2 said:

Which game?

For most games, CPU shouldn't be using that much, it means that the CPU is bottlenecking, and can't give enough information to the GPU.

How much is the GPU using?

For me the GPU is normally when gaming (1080ti) using close to 100%, and the CPU around 50% maybe at times (FPS games like Tomb Raider ect).

It really depends on the game too, what it uses the most CPU or GPU.

What CPU do you have?

I'm currently using 7700k.

Shouldn't make a difference.

The game is Destiny 2. I've never had frame drops since the dual monitor setup.

Just now, Blakjak97 said:

I'm currently using 7700k.

That shouldn't be a problem with most games, but it depends on the game.

I used a 3770K with 1080ti, and wasn't that much of a problem, gained alittle FPS with the 8700K, but not that much