Should I upgrade my cpu?

I've been using an old Optiplex with a graphics card tossed inside for several months now.

It's got an i5-2400, can't overclock it, and photoshop has been CHUGGING lately. I don't think that has anything to do with my gpu, it's a GTX 1060 3gb.

I've been looking into buying an 15-9400F, and a new mobo and ddr4 ram to go with it.

Is this a good idea? 

You're probably going to have to get a new case and power supply as well. Lots of prebuilts, especially older ones, tend to have their own motherboard layouts, power connectors, etc...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I upgraded the PSU along with the gpu. Didn't realize i would have to get a new case though..

2 minutes ago, Andrizzle said:

I upgraded the PSU along with the gpu. Didn't realize i would have to get a new case though..

It really depends on which one you have and whether or not Dell is using a custom standoff configuration for the motherboard or not, if you can remove/replace the IO shield, and if the PCIe brackets line up with the slots on a standard ATX, mATX, or ITX motherboard.

My bet is that you will have to get a new case, unless you're ready to do some modding.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, Andrizzle said:

You may not, what is the specific PC?

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

You may not, what is the specific PC?

Its an Optiplex 790, midsize tower case.

1 minute ago, Andrizzle said:

Its an Optiplex 790, midsize tower case.

Even if your componets could fit, I would recommend upgrading the case anyway. 

Just snag a cheap case like a fractal design focus g off amazon or Newegg and be done with it. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Get a Ryzen 2600 and a good VRM x470 or b450 mobo. So in a couple years you can snag a used/new 8/12 core when the 2600 runs outta juice. Not having an upgrade path lowers the value of that i5.

So many threads with people asking which 1 part in their old build can they upgrade and the solution is mostly always a new mobo/ram is also required for the CPU upgrade.

Ryzen is so damn consumer friendly.

16 minutes ago, Deadsies said:

Get a Ryzen 2600 and a good VRM x470 or b450 mobo. So in a couple years you can snag a used/new 8/12 core when the 2600 runs outta juice. Not having an upgrade path lowers the value of that i5.

So many threads with people asking which 1 part in their old build can they upgrade and the solution is mostly always a new mobo/ram is also required for the CPU upgrade.

Ryzen is so damn consumer friendly.

Well, that CPu does have an upgrade path... theoretically all the way to a 9900k.

3 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Well, that CPu does have an upgrade path... theoretically all the way to a 9900k.

Yeah but 10nm ain’t working on that mobo. Who knows what used 9900k prices will look like in 2 years, but we kinda know what ryzen will do when looking at ryzen 1 series to 2 series.

this all assumes there will be a 7nm+ line released next years 

Just now, Deadsies said:

Yeah but 10nm ain’t working on that mobo. Who knows what used 9900k prices will look like in 2 years, but we kinda know what ryzen will do when looking at ryzen 1 series to 2 series.

this all assumes there will be a 7nm+ line released next years 

I actually do advocate for going ryzen, hell look at my sig. Just pointing out that there are options, and for some specific workloads, intel is better (got confused with a different post, thought he said he was using adobe stuff).

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

hell look at my sig. 

Illuminati comfirmed

Ryzen = Amd = 3 letters = 3 = triangle = Illuminati confirmed

i'd love to upgrade the case as well, but the cpu, mobo, and ram is gonna cost me $280, and i don't really want to throw on another $50 if i can help it

Especially if that cheap case isn't one that i actually like.