AIO cooler concerns

Go to solution Solved by Slayer3032,

AIO's and water cooling in general have significantly more failure points than air cooling, so all of the failure points should be something that you should be aware of. Cheaper AIO's generally aren't a amazing buy unless aesthetics are what you are going for since high end air cooling will often beat them for less or similar money. I wouldn't for instance put an AIO into a machine that the user isn't aware that it can and will eventually fail at some point, likely around the same point cheap fans will start to die.

None of this makes AIOs bad though, just different and more of an enthusiast part.

Most products usually fail either shortly after installation or shortly after the warranty expires. As long as you check for leaks and cracking every so often and avoid kinks or stretching out the hoses, you'll be fine. If it starts making noise, or your temps increase significantly you need to inspect it and check the coolant level, usually by shaking it and listening for it being really empty.

If the tubes fail outside of your warranty, you probably replace them provided the pump doesn't die from burning up in an air pocket for like days on end.

Hi all!

So I just ordered parts to build my new PC, and chose to go with the Deepcool - CAPTAIN 240EX RGB AIO CPU cooler. Though just recently I was reading some of the reviews that said that the tubing broke and the liquid came out and damged their PC. Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I get another cooler?

Thanks for your input!

AIO's and water cooling in general have significantly more failure points than air cooling, so all of the failure points should be something that you should be aware of. Cheaper AIO's generally aren't a amazing buy unless aesthetics are what you are going for since high end air cooling will often beat them for less or similar money. I wouldn't for instance put an AIO into a machine that the user isn't aware that it can and will eventually fail at some point, likely around the same point cheap fans will start to die.

None of this makes AIOs bad though, just different and more of an enthusiast part.

Most products usually fail either shortly after installation or shortly after the warranty expires. As long as you check for leaks and cracking every so often and avoid kinks or stretching out the hoses, you'll be fine. If it starts making noise, or your temps increase significantly you need to inspect it and check the coolant level, usually by shaking it and listening for it being really empty.

If the tubes fail outside of your warranty, you probably replace them provided the pump doesn't die from burning up in an air pocket for like days on end.

23 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

I have had my Corsair - H80i v2 for 2 years now, and I have had zero issues with it. Still running, still cooling. But with this  DeepCool  AIO, especially on my new build, I am having second thoughts on using it. Like I would be very disappointed if I installed the AIO and a week later it leaked all over my new PC. That would suck. I purchased the deepcool on sale for $124.99 reg $164.99. So it would suck if I didn't use it, but not the end of the world. And as I said, I would rather not use a $124.99 cooler that has been known to leak and rather spend another $100.00 an get an air cooler or a better brand of AIO.

If you're interested here is my new build;

I run the H60i, and ive had it for about 8 months now, and it hasnt had one issue! Im assuing the 240mm variant would work too

I ran a Corsair H100i for like 4 years with no problems. After about 4 years the pump began making a bit of noise, telling me that it was beginning to fail. Still kept things cool, but the noise was really annoying. But I would say that I got my money's worth out of it. Currently running a large air cooler, since I want my pc tuned for better silence and less aggressive overclocks now.

1 minute ago, TacticlTwinkie said:

I ran a Corsair H100i for like 4 years with no problems. After about 4 years the pump began making a bit of noise, telling me that it was beginning to fail. Still kept things cool, but the noise was really annoying. But I would say that I got my money's worth out of it. Currently running a large air cooler, since I want my pc tuned for better silence and less aggressive overclocks now.

I mean I am not in the business of overclocking myself. So I am right now in a limbo of what cooler I should get. I like the AIO coolers and was originally looking at ones like the Fractal Design - Celsius and the Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO. But I also am looking at air coolers such as the be quiet! PURE ROCK SLIM CPU Cooler but I am not sure if air coolers are the best for the Lian-Li dynamic case. So I am sort of stuck decided on what cooler to use. 

This video only relates to Asetek coolers (Corsair, EVGA, NZXT, Thermaltake are all Asetek AIO's, they are all the exact same product except for the fans) Because Asetek has a patent on housing the pump inside the CPU block or something of the sort. So sellers like Corsair or Enermax has to either buy AIO's from them or work around it. This is not a representation of other AIO brands such as Enermax, Deepcool, and other AIO's that do not buy Asetek.

What is the saying? "A few bad apples ruin the bunch" Well that is how it is with AIO's. Nothing out there is perfect. The failure rates honestly are not as high as people make them out to be. 

I think it is fine. If AIO's actually failed as much as people say they do. They would not be so popular.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

4 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

This video only relates to Asetek coolers (Corsair, EVGA, Thermaltake are all Asetek AIO's, they are all the exact same product except for the fans) Because Asetek has a patent on housing the pump inside the CPU block or something of the sort. So sellers like Corsair or Enermax has to either buy AIO's from them or work around it. This is not a representation of other AIO brands such as Enermax, Deepcool, and other AIO's that do not buy Asetek.

What is the saying? "A few bad apples ruin the bunch" Well that is how it is with AIO's. Nothing out there is perfect. The failure rates honestly are not as high as people make them out to be. 

I think it is fine. If AIO's actually failed as much as people say they do. They would not be so popular.

So are brands like Corsair, EVGA, and Thermaltake, in regards to AIO's, generally more reliable than brands like Enermax and deepcool who don't buy Asetek?

I totally agree with you, I think the majority of people who buy AIO's have no problems with them, but you often times don't hear about people's positive experiences on them, only the negative ones. At least some of the time.

1 minute ago, Demonking said:

I have that exact cooler. I've had for about 2 years now, and no issues so far.

Oh really? No problems?

32 minutes ago, Naxy said:

So are brands like Corsair, EVGA, and Thermaltake, in regards to AIO's, generally more reliable than brands like Enermax and deepcool who don't buy Asetek?

I totally agree with you, I think the majority of people who buy AIO's have no problems with them, but you often times don't hear about people's positive experiences on them, only the negative ones. At least some of the time.

I do not know for sure if Asetek is more reliable than the other companies that do not use their setup. They have not been around as long as Asetek so nobody really has too much information on their failure rates. But logically, yes I believe Asetek is more reliable.

Join HWBot or OCN

So I guess I would be taking somewhat of a gamble if I use the deepcool brand over a brand that uses Asetek.

21 minutes ago, Demonking said:

No. i bought right when it was new in 2017, no issues as of yet.

D-GFBq3XoAEFZiy.jpg

I like the green scheme. I have never used a deepcool brand AIO, so I am just a little concerned, especially with some of the reviews saying that their AIO's tubes broke. Doesn't mean that DeepCool is a bad AIO brand, just something I am considering, 

10 hours ago, Naxy said:

So I guess I would be taking somewhat of a gamble if I use the deepcool brand over a brand that uses Asetek.

The way AIO's coolers break is. They will either break within the first week or two of buying it. Or it will last you 4 or 5 years. But if you have had the AIO for 4 or 5 years then you should be switching it out for a new one. Either way you should be fine.

If you now really want a Asetek AIO and can still return your Deepcool one. I would go for Corsair Pro series, they come with the Gen6 Asetek water pump that is a lot better than the previous Gen5. And the corsair AIO comes with Mag-Lev fans instead of normal ball bearing fans, making the whole setup super quiet.

Join HWBot or OCN

27 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

The way AIO's coolers break is. They will either break within the first week or two of buying it. Or it will last you 4 or 5 years. But if you have had the AIO for 4 or 5 years then you should be switching it out for a new one. Either way you should be fine.

If you now really want a Asetek AIO and can still return your Deepcool one. I would go for Corsair Pro series, they come with the Gen6 Asetek water pump that is a lot better than the previous Gen5. And the corsair AIO comes with Mag-Lev fans instead of normal ball bearing fans, making the whole setup super quiet.

I think I am going to give it a try. I think it is good looking AIO and I think it performs well as well. So if anything happens then I think I will switch over to Corsair. :) 

Don't worry. Even if your Deepcool pump does break, all modern processor's have a thermal limit of around 95-99c. Your computer will auto shutdown to prevent catastrophic damage if your hardware starts to overheat.

Join HWBot or OCN

1 minute ago, Fakmykak said:

Don't worry. Even if your Deepcool pump does break, all modern processor's have a thermal limit of around 95-99c. Your computer will auto shutdown to prevent catastrophic damage if your hardware starts to overheat.

Good to know! Unless one of the tubes break, then, you have a bit more of a problem. but hopefully, it won't come to that.