Pc no longer booting or recognizing boot device

Hi everyone. So yesterday after playing a game I shut down the game and left my pc running while I was in the other room. I came back to my pc a few hours later with a black screen saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot Media in selected boot device and press a key". Nothing happened in the time I was gone as my pc was just sitting there idling. When I go into my bios my pc recognizes my boot ssd and it is set to top priority device. I've also tried booting from a portable hard drive which I have a back up on and it's still not working. I get the same error message. Anyone have any idea? 

Specs are:

Intel 8700k 

Msi sli plus z370 mobo

Corsair vengeance pro Rgb 16gb 3200mhz 

Asus 2080 gpu 

Samsung 970 evo m.2 ssd 500gb 

2tb segate barracuda HDD 

Have you tried a different port/slot?

Is the boot device set to the correct protocol? (AHCI, RAID, etc)

For the portable drive, is booting from USB turned on?

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

4 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

I've tried both m.2 slots on the mobo, both recognize the drive and neither boots from it. Took the ssd to memory Express, they hooked it up to an enclosure and were able to access my files and everything so the drive isn't corrupted. I also went through my portable hard drive and unfortunately I guess I didn't back up windows on it. Just my files. Nothing was changed with the boot device in particular so all the settings should have remained the same as when it was booting properly. 

Just now, Reaper113 said:

I've tried both m.2 slots on the mobo, both recognize the drive and neither boots from it. Took the ssd to memory Express, they hooked it up to an enclosure and were able to access my files and everything so the drive isn't corrupted. I also went through my portable hard drive and unfortunately I guess I didn't back up windows on it. Just my files. Nothing was changed with the boot device in particular so all the settings should have remained the same as when it was booting properly. 

Did they try to boot from it?

I think the boot volume may have been damaged

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

50 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Did they try to boot from it?

I think the boot volume may have been damaged

It tried but gave me the same error as always. What would have caused the damage, I wasn't even using my pc at the time. It was just on and sitting there

5 hours ago, ShadowChaser said: