red led on cpu

Go to solution Solved by MadManMarsBar,

So I recently purchased a new mootherboard cause the last one died. Now the next problem persists. The led of the cpu is red. I tried replugging fan cable and it doesn't work. My pc turns on but no screen. I even re-applied the heatsink and cpu with no luck. After that I took off the heatsink again and turned on my pc to find out my cpu doesn't even get warm, it stays icecold, which is not normal I think? I did a google search and people say a cpu can fry in 10 seconds, or at least really fast.

It's a 3 year old cpu, AM3 (phenom), which my mobo supports. I'm guessing it's dead but who knows, any suggestions?

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i think your CPU is dead :L

So I recently purchased a new mootherboard cause the last one died. Now the next problem persists. The led of the cpu is red. I tried replugging fan cable and it doesn't work. My pc turns on but no screen. I even re-applied the heatsink and cpu with no luck. After that I took off the heatsink again and turned on my pc to find out my cpu doesn't even get warm, it stays icecold, which is not normal I think? I did a google search and people say a cpu can fry in 10 seconds, or at least really fast.

It's a 3 year old cpu, AM3 (phenom), which my mobo supports. I'm guessing it's dead but who knows, any suggestions?

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

Indeed.. Your CPU is probably dead :(

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Agreed, Dead CPU :(. Are you able to obtain another cpu for cheap to test out if it really is a cpu problem? I have had it where I kept blowing cpus and motherboards cause my PSU was dying and throwing bad voltage. I doubt thats happening here but who knows.

Did you forget to plug in the cpu power cable?

Did you forget to plug in the cpu power cable?

I checked everything more than twice.

Seems so :(. I waited for an aftermarket 290 for so long and now the rest of my computer fails, hilarious. My psu, motherboard and cpu basically died within a month. I guess my psu kinda fried cpu and motherboard? Whatever the case, thanks for the quick responses as always. I think I'll go with an fx-8350, might as well get something good.

Also, I don't think I can even try old ones, this motherboard only supports am3/am3+ cpu's. Pretty sure it's dead though.

I checked everything more than twice.

Seems so :(. I waited for an aftermarket 290 for so long and now the rest of my computer fails, hilarious. My psu, motherboard and cpu basically died within a month. I guess my psu kinda fried cpu and motherboard? Whatever the case, thanks for the quick responses as always. I think I'll go with an fx-8350, might as well get something good.

Also, I don't think I can even try old ones, this motherboard only supports am3/am3+ cpu's. Pretty sure it's dead though.

get an 8320 + after market Cooler and OC it to the same as 8350 :D

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

get an 8320 + after market Cooler and OC it to the same as 8350 :D

Already have an aftermarket cooler, don't know a thing about overclocking though. I'll look into it, maybe save some money.