upgrading from Fiio E17 to something better (max budget $250)

i currently own Fiio E17 but i want to upgrade to something better,

i currently use Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 and have ordered Philips Fidelio X1 which is yet to be shipped.

I looked at different AMP/DAC such as Audioquest Dragonfly, HRT Microstreamer and Audioengine D3,

from what i read so far, it seems the Audioengine D3 is the best.

i would like to hear what you guys think or if you have any other recommendation of what you think is good and why.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

what cjeffcoatjr said or Schiit Magni and Modi stack for better looks.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

For your headphones, I wouldn't bother upgrading. 

reason?

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

what cjeffcoatjr said or Schiit Magni and Modi stack for better looks.

i need a DAC/AMP combo unit.

reason?

Those are easy to drive headphones that could more then easily be driven off onboard. Why spend again! for what you already have. 

Those are easy to drive headphones that could more then easily be driven off onboard. Why spend again! for what you already have. 

i don't know what onboard solution you are talking about but i have plenty of experience with them like:

realtek AC 97 (in my Pentium 4, absolute crap)

realtek ALC 889 (in my nehalem desktop, sound quality is meh)

realtek ALC 892 (in my sb desktop and it also has X-FI MB emulation, sound quality is meh)

Conexant (in my AMD apu netbook, sounds miles better than realtek but it sound is very thin)

IDT audio (in my m17x r3, sound quality is better than any onboard i have before but it is very muddy and lots of distortion)

i also have experience with dac on phone such as:

wm8994 (in my SE4G, sounds great w/ voodoo hack)

Yamaha C1YMU823 (in my SGSII possibly the worst sounding DAC ive ever heard)

xt912's DAC (cant remember the exact model but it sounds as good as WM8994 w/ voodoo hack)

Cirrus Logic cs42L61 (in my iphone 4, the best sounding dac imo on a phone to date).

and many more that i cant remember the names.

i could easily distinguish and tell the difference between them even with a cheap $20 sony earbuds