Laptop for a living. pure CPU, Linux, desktop replacement

Dearest forum,

I use a fully maxed out Lenovo T440p for my work and want to replace it now. I only do CPU workloads. No games. There will only be terminals on my screen. I was wondering if you are aware of a machine that ticks most of my boxes.

- Price up to 2700 USD (must be available in Europe)

- Excellent keyboard

- Dimensions from 15.6 up to 17 inches, chassis does not need to be slim

- Weight up to 3kg

- 100Wh battery

- 2560 x 1440 resolution

- no touchscreen

- Linux decent driver support (If such thing exists)

- Only Intel GPU (I had so many trouble with nvidia and my specific Linux) If a dedicated GPU can be truly switched off this would also be fine.

- 512GB SSD

- RAM starting at 16GB, no need for ECC

- CPU cooling for at least 45W 24/7 load (4+ core CPUs are fine, I prefer clock-speed over core-count)

- 1GB RJ45 Ethernet port __in_the_back__

- power connector __in_the_back__

I was looking for Dell's precision line (7540, 7740) comes really close except for the screen resolution. Also Dell's Alienware M17 comes really close except for the nvidia GPU, and I am not sure about Linux support.

I started with Dell, because they advertise Linux support. Any suggestions? Any product that comes to your mind?

Cheers

Sebastian

Look into Purism or System 76 laptops. they come with Linux so no MS tax, and they have tested drivers for their video cards if they have them.

18 hours ago, Kallahan11 said:

Look into Purism or System 76 laptops. they come with Linux so no MS tax, and they have tested drivers for their video cards if they have them.

Thanks! I did not know those. Will have a look.

18 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Why not 4K?

On my desktop I already tested a 28" 4K monitor 4 years ago. But scaling of text did not work well with all my programs. I went back to 1920x1080 for now. On the desktop, I should give it another try with maybe a 32"+ monitor. Software might have improved by now. But on a 17" notebook, I am not sure yet if I can take the risk of bad/non existing scaling for some menu text. I mean when scaling works, it is great. Most command line terminals are good at scaling, and the improvements for reading text are real good. I just thought that 2560x1440 might be a good compromise until I realized that those are not so common anymore in 2019.